MG 42/MG 38

Does CM include the MG 38 machine gun, or just the '42? I believe both these weapons were used on the western front, and they were quite different, although used in similar ways. The MG 38 was mounted on both tripods and bipods for infantry support and as a lmg. Main difference with the 42 was the 38 fed off a clip.

MP38 approx equalls MP40. Visually they are the same, but with different production methods (and safety?)

Relying on extensive research based on watching numerous war movies and reading many, many Commando comics, the Schmeiser was the standard smallarm of all German forces throughout WW2 :P

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 04-20-2000).]

p-08 = luger

p-38 = suceeder of the luger

mp-38 = german smg

mp-40 = its successor known as schmeisser but the guy had nothing to do with it,

mg34 - german machinegun

mg42 - its successor except on vehicles where the mg34 was kept as mg

------------------

This is my rifle,

this is my gun.

This ones for killing, this ones a tasty alternative to turkey at christmas.....

You guys forgot the MP43 and it's final version the MP44, thought it wasn't seen on the west front til late in the war, I hear they were commen on the east front.

One of the germans we fought against at the last even had one of those... he was kicking our asses w/ it.. well the russians, us para's are smart, we stayed in the woods and let them come to us.

Guest Big Time Software

Ok, here goes...

MP38 and MP40 are functionally the same so far as performance is concerend. The two big differences between the two was the manufacturing process (MP40s were made of stamped parts) and a bolt "safety". Basically with an MP38 you could get the bolt handle snagged and cause the gun to go off. The work around was a small leather strip that was hooked onto the bolt handle so as to keep it from being cocked.

And the term "Schmeiser" is totally incorrect, though it is still printed in lots of source materials. Hugo Schmeiser had NOTHING to do with the development of the MP38/40, though was the brains behind lots of other stuff including the MP43/44.

There are no MG34s in CM except on certain AFVs (tanks for the most part). But this point in the war the old "Spandau" MGs were all replaced by MG42s.

Check out the SS squads in LD. They have some MP44s. A fantastic weapon, they started showing up in significant numbers with "elite" units in mid 1944. Although the Germans produced over 400,000 of these, less than a 1/3 ever made it into combat. And that is why I have a deactivated one hanging on my wall for little money smile.gif Tons of these are still in their original crates in Germany as the Allies didn't do much with them after the war.

And Spider wins a prize for trivial knowledge smile.gif Yes, the MG 38(t) was a 15mm AA machinegun that the Germans used to a limited degree after they took over Czechoslovakia. Prodcution continued throughout the war, but they were used as light anti-aircraft weapons. The MG 37(t) was a multi purpose MG based on the 7.92mm round and was used by front line German forces, particullarly earlier Waffen SS units who found it difficult to get a hold of MG34s and other standard German weapons.

Steve