Gebirgsjaegers

Hi,

Need some help from weastern front WW II experts, thanks in advance.

Could you give me exemples of an operation where these troops combinations were used in the weastern front ?

1) Gebirgsjaeger + Armor (Heer or SS)

or

2) Gebirgsjaeger + Heer (not Volksstrum)

João

PS- The Spell Check was off smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanaka:

Hi,

Need some help from weastern front WW II experts, thanks in advance.

Could you give me exemples of an operation where these troops combinations were used in the weastern front ?

1) Gebirgsjaeger + Armor (Heer or SS)

or

2) Gebirgsjaeger + Heer (not Volksstrum)

João

PS- The Spell Check was off smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not a total expert but I ve never herd of them working together. They didn't use armor vary much as I recall. I ve read at lest 50 or 60 books about troops and there attacments but never Gebirgsjaeger. cool.gif

------------------

Game master of Robs CMC

Join Robs CMC2 today! Email me at RobsCMC@hotmail.com

Rob

--------------------------

For more info on Rob's CMC go to Robs CMC HQHome of Robs CMC

Members of my CMC should join my CMC chat bord. Robs CMC Board

BHQS Board for me and BHQS only!

BHQS board

You might have more luck on the Italian front. The following - nominal - mountain divisions were used: 5th, 8th, 188th, 157th.

The 5th was temporarily bolstered by units from the 71st ID in Jan '44, just north of Cassino, and worked closely with the 44th ID for the rest of the year.

The 8th was in the line next to IDs late '44 to the war's end.

Even so, there was unlikely to have been mixing of units on a CM scale.

It is unlikely they had major armoured units in support because of the terrain they were holding. Nor did they ever have armoured units beside them in the line.

Ok, thanks Rob and ropey,

So far my search on the INET only gave me the answer that some Gebirgsjaeger Divisions (the ones pointed by ropey) did operated in the Italian front, mainly in Cassino and in the Gothic Line...

I found that the 2nd Gerbirgsjaeger division on 2/45 fought in Würtemburg, southern Germany, a mountainous region...

Could any one tell me if they fought in France or near the Rhine river, and if they did, with whom if they were not independent.

"When the Odds Were Even" mentions three German mountain units:

201st & 202d Alpine Infantry Battalions -- described as Austrian, well-equipped but inexperienced. They were attached to the 16th Volksgrenadier Division on 10/28/44.

6th SS Mountain Division -- elite unit which last fought in Finland. This unit was used in Operation Nordwind. They weren't very successful in Nordwind per se, but caused a battalion of the 45th ID much grief in Reipertswiller.

Some non-Vosges mountain troop fighting took place against Lampaden Ridge on March 6th, 1945. The 6th SS Mountain and 2nd Mountain Divisions launched an infiltration-style attack against a bridgehead across the Saar River. The US 3rd Battalion, 302d Infantry Regiment won a unit citation for repelling the attack of the 11th SS Mountain Regiment (part of the 6th SS), which was supported by two assault gun companies and two engineering companies. The German forces were insufficient for the task.

So, an example of mountain troops fighting with armored support took place on Lampaden Ridge.

Operation "Nordwind", Dec. 1944. This was the offensive in the Vosges region that kicked off at the same time as the Bulge. 6th SS (Gebirgsjager) was one of the main units involved. 21st Panzer was also involved IIRC. The Vosges was the only area that Gebirgjager were used, and the 6th SS was the only division used in France. There were a couple of battalions used earlier in the Vosges.

I would suspect that some GJaegers fought in Austria, given that many of the Gjaeger divisions were originally Austrian.

WWB

------------------

Before battle, my digital soldiers turn to me and say,

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salutamus.

Many answers, thanks

In my search I did find some SS Gebirgsjäger Divisions (mostly of them formed in 44), these Div were in majority made of Scandinavian troops, and not Austrian ones like most of the non SS Gebirgsjäger Divisions.

Are the CM Gebirgsjägers SS ? If they are, Why aren't they in the SS section of CM troop buy ? or, Why they haven't any armor ?

In the Vosges Campaign, a very mountainous region, I couldn't find any armor support...

At Lampaden, another mountainous region, after the use of the right key words provided by you, I did find some armor support...

There is a pattern in the places were the Gebirgsjäger troops were Employed

---> Mountains smile.gif (go figure)

My final question... Why not equip the CM Gebirgsjägers with some Armor support, like the FJ have ? (some Stugs)