What's the deal with tanks using smoke?

It seems that whenever I move a Panther into position to take a shot at a Sherman, the Sherman drops some smoke and withdraws before I can get lined up for the shot. frown.gif But if I play the Americans and have a Sherman sitting there not doing anything, and a Panther moves into view, my tank just sits there and gets shot. mad.gif It seems that the computer controlled troops reacts better during the turn resolution phase than the human controlled troops do.

Also, I had a Platoon HQ (German) in a foxhole wipe out like 4 attacking British rifle squads (all at close range) one after the other with only loosing one guy. Then I had my “Uber” HQ assault the two British rifle squads pinned by MG fire 50 meters away. This all while the 2 German rifle squads nearby broke and ran after only loosing one or two guys. Nothing like seeing a full enemy assault broken up and defeated by a lowly HQ. biggrin.gif

------------------

To conquer others is to have power,

To conquer yourself is to have strength.

-Lao Tzu

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It seems that whenever I move a Panther into position to take a shot at a Sherman, the Sherman drops some smoke and withdraws before I can get lined up for the shot. But if I play the Americans and have a Sherman sitting there not doing anything, and a Panther moves into view, my tank just sits there and gets shot. It seems that the computer controlled troops reacts better during the turn resolution phase than the human controlled troops do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure the Sherman actually saw the Panther? I've seen Shermans pop smoke and reverse while playing as the Americans (sometimes when I don't want them to, which can be annoying as well).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, I had a Platoon HQ (German) in a foxhole wipe out like 4 attacking British rifle squads (all at close range) one after the other with only loosing one guy. Then I had my “Uber” HQ assault the two British rifle squads pinned by MG fire 50 meters away. This all while the 2 German rifle squads nearby broke and ran after only loosing one or two guys. Nothing like seeing a full enemy assault broken up and defeated by a lowly HQ. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It must have been one of those Tank-Busting Uber HQs. smile.gif

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

I was just trying to run some little QB tests of the targeting tweaks in 1.04, and I had a hard time getting what I wanted to happen because my Shermans kept popping smoke and reversing out of Mr. Panther's LOS (whereas they banged on the MkIV mercilessly).

Apparently they did not understand that they were lab rats, and foolishly indulged in self-preservation. Auto-smoke seems to be working fine. These were Unbuttoned Veteran crews; perhaps Regs or Greenies would be more likely to sit there and duke it out. For a second.

The test was inconclusive btw, but targeting certainly didn't seem to get any worse. The Panther engaged zig-zagging crews and infantry when there was nothing else to shoot, but dropped them to target AFVs when they appeared. Can't really say how well they're tracking momentarily out-of-sight AFV threats yet.