What CM is, isn't and could be

These are my conclusions and assumptions concerning the "scope of CM". There are several requests for features and units in CM that are discarded as "not within the scope of CM", therefore it would be nice to know exactly what the "scope" is. It would be great to get feedback from others, including the game designer whether I'm right or wrong (and why).

Combat Mission is:

- A game simulating front line infantry combat in WW2, with the possibility to incorporate other arms.

- Suitable for unit sizes from a single platoon up to a battalion, reinforced with some armour and artillery.

Combat Mission is not:

- A game of naval or aviation warfare, including amphibious and airborne assaults.

- A game of grand strategy.

- Suitable for combat with more than one platoon of tanks or TDs per side. (Due to lack of command structure.)

- A game simulating raids behind the front line.

Combat Mission could be:

- Last point above. The small unit scale is suitable for commando and ranger ops. What's missing is most of the support elements (and civilians) that are to be found there, and the TacAI to operate them properly.

I realise that this might be very time consuming to implement, and probably not worth working on until CM6 or so...

Comments welcome

Olle

[This message has been edited by Olle Petersson (edited 11-07-2000).]

I don't really thinking playing with the 5th Cookery Company is that interesting.. "hmm waffles or bagels tonight?".

Some grand, coded, multiplayer campaign would be cool with a HUGE computer generated battlefield in full 3d and each turn (1/4 of a day) you move your armies and resolve battles on smaller sections of the map, but I really think it's just a pipe dream biggrin.gif

till then, bring on the CMMC smile.gif

PeterNZ

------------------

"Someday... the whole world will know the wonder of my nipples."

Olle Petersson wrote:

> Combat Mission is not:

> [...]

> - A game simulating raids behind the front line.

Good point – you can't get your men to act stealthily. They always assume they are currently involved in a battle, and will shoot first and ask questions later (if they survive that long).

button.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZer:

I don't really thinking playing with the 5th Cookery Company is that interesting...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>... until you realise that the 5th are stationed next to the Corps HQ, the main target.

Then there's the MPs and various other transport and support units. And of course the batteries of "off map" artillery...

Cheers

Olle

To add commando features to "some" units would be great. However I have some doubts in 2 player games how you would work that. Maybe some plotting of a patrol course, walking the perimeter for instance, could work. But basically the defender could be in for a boring game, at first.

MikeT

------------------

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

- Motto of Possum Lodge

Yes, the fun would come from setting up and changing patrol routes, then reacting in time to your guards 'disappearing'. Doggy units would be fun to use. The designer's problem would be preventing the defender from placing all their guard units around the objective. - the objective would have to cover a large area, or have multiple targets, eg rescuing POWs in different buildings, or blowing several electric generators, disabling vehicles, etc

The Special Forces guys would have higher stealth and spotting stats, guard dogs would have a large sniff radius.

This could be a weak Commando's rip off or a nice alternative to blasting the fek out of each other..

------------------

"People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history."

....Governor George W. Bush, Jr.

Hmm...

Some think of these behind the lines applications more in terms of advanced covert ops than I do...

I was originally thinking in the line of playing against the AI in scenarios like;

- ambushing supply columns.

- attacking artillery sites.

- attacks on airfields.

Now I came up with an idea for a scenario that could be playable...

Will try to design it tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers

Olle

Olle Petersson wrote:

I was originally thinking in the line of playing against the AI in scenarios like;

- ambushing supply columns.

That can be done. Put a lot of conscript half-squads in trucks along a road and place the ambushers into nice locations along long the road. Whether this makes an interesting scenario or not is debatable.

You might want to add a few armored cars to guard the supply column to give them even a slight chance.

- Tommi