Initial 1.1B impressions

It looks very promising, I think. It has a few bugs to be errored out, but they're workable and probably quick to fix. There seems to be problems with establishing a session while CM isn't in the active window, but thats easy enough to fix. One complaint, though, is that after picking an OOB for a QB(and that can take a good 5-10 minutes), if you get a tcp error, it will drop you back to the main menu and you'll have to redo the entire QB. I had to pick my OOB 3 times before we had a succesful run of the game. I recommend a system wherein CM 'remembers' your last qb settings/oob and gives you the option of recreating them if necesary.

The transfer rate seems to be perfectly adequate. I haven't waited more than 10 seconds on a 1250 point game on a 56k.

A few things I noticed lacking about the interface:

A chat log is needed... if I get up for a few minutes during a pause, or what have you, anything my opponent has said will be erased permanently. An optional chat window that pops up and displays the last X number of lines would be helpful towards that.

Also, another interface oddity.. If you're on a timer, and you click 'go' before the timer is up, the timer itself won't display on your screen anymore. It will merely display 'Waiting for opponent to finish issuing orders', or somesuch. It would be nice to see how much time is left in the turn.

Also, I didn't see anything about it in the doc, but on board mortars seem to have lost accuracy. Has anyone else noticed this? It could just be a fluke, but they seem to be much less accurate overall.

Once the bugs are worked out, though, this patch looks like it could be all we've hoped for.

By being kicked back to the main menu, did you get to the setup screen then get dropped? I had that happen 3 times, then got dropped by my ISP.

After I reconnected I played 2 full games will no problem, so I have to assume I had a bad connection despite not being booted by my ISP.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SenorBeef:

(Timer) It will merely display 'Waiting for opponent to finish issuing orders', or somesuch. It would be nice to see how much time is left in the turn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Your computer doesn't know how much time the opponent has left, since there's no communication between the computers while plotting orders. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, I didn't see anything about it in the doc, but on board mortars seem to have lost accuracy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's a feature! (Not mentioned in the ReadMe file though, it seems...) No more nasty AT mortars. IRL they weren't that accurate, since most of them didn't have a proper mounting anyway.

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Olle Petersson:

Originally posted by SenorBeef:

(Timer) It will merely display 'Waiting for opponent to finish issuing orders', or somesuch. It would be nice to see how much time is left in the turn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Your computer doesn't know how much time the opponent has left, since there's no communication between the computers while plotting orders. Cheers

Olle

That doesn't make sense, as before the orders phase, the host, I assume, says 'Ok, 180 seconds left to issue orders'

If you were to finish your orders, but NOT click the 'go' button, you'd be able to see the counter keep counting down to 0, so you know how much time your opponent dissapears. Theres no reason to have the counter stop when you hit 'go', as it doesn't need to communicate with the other client to keep counting down. This is a minor interface issue, but something I'd like to see correcteed.

Also... I'd rather see minutes:seconds than listing in just seconds. But thats a preference.