New Appreciation for Veteran Troops

I have played quite a bit this weekend on my new PC, have come to some conclusions.

First, let me state I was a firm believer in the school of larger numbers is better, so I regularly would use regular troops. Never thought anything about how worthless my sharpshooters were, and how quickly my Panthers died.

Now, I played a quick battle versus the AI. 3000 points for me as Germans on the defense in a Probe engagement. The AI picks the Canadians. I bought 5 platoons of Crack Gerbigsjaegers, a couple of crack HMGs, 2 elite snipers, 2 crack quad 20mm flak guns, an elite King Tiger, 2 Crack Panther G (Late) and 2 veteran StuH 42's.

Result - 99 to 1 victory over the AI. Over 300 casualties to 6. Hero of the day - Unterofficer Trilsbach, whose Panther, despite being immobilized by a track hit on the first shot of the game, proceeded to rack up the following kills: 13 infantry, 1 mortar, 1 Firefly, 4 Sherman V's, 4 Sherman II's, and 1 Churchill VII. He singlehandedly broke the spine of the Canadian assault.

Conclusions - Never have I had such outstanding performances from troops before. I also noticed that the elite sharpshooter I had located in the vicinity of this Panther caused most of Trilsbach's kills to be buttoned up. It was funny to hear the number of hatch closings on that side of the field.

Anyone else notice the HUGE difference between Crack and Veteran/Regular troops?

------------------

CrapGame

Guest Germanboy

I agree - I am just playing a QB (600 points, meeting) with von Lucke. The AI got crack troops for both of us. I had a sharpshooter drill a FOO team on his side with one shot at about 320m in the 60th second of turn one. Currently some of our infantry has run into each other in the woods and is fighting it out on 15m. Carnage, but nobody is breaking yet. This is tense, and a lot of fun to see these guys perform.

------------------

Andreas

Andreas - Yes, exactly what I mean. I had one platoon of Gebirgsjaegers with the following: G-0: 7 casualties with none of their own, G-1: 29 casualties with none of their own, G-2: 24 casualties with 3 of their own, G-3: 56 casualties with 1 of their own. Amazing, 116 casualties caused for 4 of their own! Crack troops are worth their weight in gold.

------------------

CrapGame

Yes, the CANADIANS! For some reason, my PC almost always pciks the Canadians. I have only faced the Brits once, the Amis once, and the Poles once. I have never faced the French yet - I know it's random, but how many times do I have to send them packing?

Anyway, David, I was trying to see how much difference there was between crack troops and regular, as I usually only use regular troops. I think I have to play some attack QB's with the crack troops. It might make some of my attacks a little better (it sure as hell can't make them worse smile.gif )

------------------

CrapGame

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

I can't wait till my copy gets here... the more I hear talk about it the more I want to play it!