An Artillery Request: Creeping Barrage

Dear BTS,

Would it be possible to incorporate in a future patch a creeping artillery barrage as a purchase option. I think this should only be available as an Assualt option (since historically they were part of a planned operation). Realistically, the owning player should not have much control over it other than the area of effect, time of start, speed of advance, and duration. In other words, once these parameters have been input during the setup phase, the owning player would have no further control over its execution.

The tremendous power of these would be balanced by the inability of the player to exercise tactical control over it. I think this would realistically simulate the historical difficulties that were encountered with creeping barrages. Very effective if the troops followed it closely, but if they became hung up in any way then the barrage would continue without them.

Reading any of the histories, we see they were an integral part of a prepared assault (at least with Commonwealth).

Without the inclusion of this feature in the game it will be more difficult to recreate historical scenarios.

Chris

(still hoping for CM today)

Guest Germanboy

Was discussed yesterday as 'Rolling barrage' - have a look for that thread.

------------------

Andreas

Thanks germanboy,

I had a look at the thread. Yes one could probably simulate it using FO's but then it would run into problem of delays. More importantly it would give the player tactical control of it which imo is ahistorical. Taking the control out of the player's hand except during setup would go a long ways towards recreating the 'friction' of battle. If we simply rely upon FO's then I doubt that the frequent problem of the troops being left behind the barrage would happen.

I guess I like the possibility of having one's assault plans go awry when your troops unexpectantly run into a minefield or pillbox that was not knocked out. All this having the effect of separating your troops from the safety and suppressing effects of the barrage.

Chris

Guest Germanboy

As I said in the other thread - I think it is very simple to simulate an attack that has gone awry, although you won't see your barrage disappear on the horizon. And if it works, in most accounts I read it was very effective, and therefore would not be a lot of fun to play.

------------------

Andreas