Unit List & Suggestions

Hello,

Has anyone requested BTS add a unit list (a la Steel Panthers) into the game? It seems like a simple addition and yet it would add quite a bit to the game. Specifically, what I'm talking about is a button or hotkey to take you to a listing of all of your current units, complete with status. It would also be helpful to be able to click on the unit in the list and have the game "go" to the unit on the map. This is one of the more helpful features of SP and I believe it should be included in this game as well.

Further, is there any chance of getting a unit encyclopedia included? Here I'm thinking more along the lines with the first Steel Panthers game, which had a photo and description for most units. I know BTS has access to excellent photos, I've viewed them on their site. A small thumbnail of the vehicle with a short description would be most useful. Us non-military types could use some help with some of the APC varients and especially the German words. The manual, while excellent in some respects, is strangely quiet about unit types. If you want to cater to the more mainstream gamer some sort of description must be made easily available.

Also, while I understand the reasons espoused in the manual for making the fanatic troops unknown, I really miss the ASL phenomina of troops going "beserk, fanatic, heroic, generally nutso... etc." The only reason I bring this up is that CM is the only computer game I've played to come close to capturing the feeling of ASL (except perhaps Steel Panthers).

Next, can someone explain rally to me? Will a leader automatically attempt to rally a unit he is near? Is there any benefit to having a leader near a broken unit. Again, it seems limited to have units either come out of breaking as either "!" (screwed up) or not "!". I'd like to see some other symbols here, like "$%#@!" for beserk or whatever. Just a suggestion.

Finally, unit name changes by the users (while silly) would be much appreciated. How can I have an "Oddball" sherman without that?

I bring these points up only because this is a wonderful game that I will play into the ground. I do not agree with the anti-SP WAW sentiment that some here seem to have, but I believe both games are incredible efforts by talented people (in some cases the same talented people I believe Mr. Wilder) that add to the genra as a whole. Both games can be improved upon, a process both development teams seem to take seriously.

Thanks,

Matt Witten

The Ninety Day Wonder

Yes, many people have requested an OOB screen like in SP. The SOON TO BE RELEASED FAQ has about a dozen of the most common questions, including this one.

While CM doesn't have a OOB screen, the various hotkeys should make spotting units that need attention easy. toggling smoke, trees, and bases; resizing units, toggling unit 'morale state', etc should make finding your men fairly easy.

A unit database with description, game stats, and picture (whether an actual or game picture) is probably left to the fans to do. I am currently working on a unit database, but I need to change all the point cost s for armored vehicles after the 1.03 changes. frown.gif

Yes, leaders automatically attempt to rally units under their command. From my experience, having units in C&C is a BIG plus, especially low quality units.

Editing names - ahem, RTFM, page 130. smile.gif

Jason

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

Yes, many people have requested an OOB screen like in SP. The SOON TO BE RELEASED FAQ has about a dozen of the most common questions, including this one.

Jason<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I just stopped in here as part of my usual ritual of checking out new posts, and I am moved to say what I have kind of subconsciously noted for a long time, and that is that: Jason, you are one of the most consistently helpful and positive people on this forum. Thank you for that, and keep up the good (and usually thankless) work!

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.