17 Ricoshets and still alive ?!

In one of the battles I had PZ IV (70) against 3 Shermans at 170 meters range.

2 of my shermans got killed pretty fast even though they kept hitting target with ricoshets. Finally one of them hit PZ's gun so it became defenseless. So I leave it there to finish the job and it keeps coming closer and firing and keeps getting "Ricoshets" (it was firing on the front armor) Eventually I had to use my infantry to blow the damn thing up.

No the question is: is 17 ricoshets at this range normal ? 'Cause it seems easier to kill King Tiger this way than PZ IV !

You need to flank those fellers...side or grill door shots are what are required. I lost 4 Shermans to a Jagdpanzer IV, hull down behind a stone wall. Their tough. Good sloping armour, low profile, and powerful main gun.

Smoke and manuver for flank and rear shots...otherwise your gonna take a pounding.

Guest Big Time Software

Normal? Probably not since there is no such thing as "normal" because each set of circumstances is different. Different Shermans can do different things as well, so that is important to keep in mind. But in general... the JPzIV (70) has really good armor. Lots of slope, low profile, and thick armor. The King Tiger has great armor, but its turret front is hardly sloped at all. I doubt those Shermans would have had much better luck with the King Tiger than they did the JPzIV.

Steve

I guess because of the front armor angle of 50 degrees - it makes them invulnurable to AP rounds, but still 17 hits should at least cause one or two internal flaking.

Oh well, that's what I call bad luck smile.gif

[This message has been edited by dima (edited 12-07-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I guess because of the front armor angle of 50 degrees - it makes them invulnurable<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been always wondering, by what ratio does 1 degree of (armor) sloping increases chance of ricochet (i mean, if armor plate thickness is X mm and it is at Y degrees to the projectile, by what ratio does Y value increases X value? (oh men, i should take some Military English lessons...))

[This message has been edited by ciks (edited 12-07-2000).]

Also, if the JPIV was on a slope, then that 50 degrees might be increased to 60 or even more degrees and THAT makes it really hard to penetrate!

When i first encountered one of these in battle I thought "pah, easy".. then I read their stats and matched them up with the gun info and realised they were 'boxy, but good'. smile.gif

PeterNZ

------------------

"I can be quite pleasant, you know" - Andreas

"WHERE'S THE MOAT?!" - Jon