Air Support vs. Air Support

Last night I set up a custom scenario with air support on each side and full FOW. I placed my Allied armor in light trees to see if it would offer any concealment. When the battle started, I basically sat and waited. By turn six or so the Allied fighter bombers started to fire at the German armor, immobilizing one panther, destroying a half-track, and perhaps even taking out a tank commander. The armor stayed buttoned until they met their untimely demise at the hands of my TD crews. The German air support never showed.

Can I assume that one side or the other will gain local air superiority, thus, only one side will be able to execute a ground attack? Is the resolution of air superiority based on the randomness of the computer-selected air assets involved? I must admit that I have not read the manual as closely as perhaps I should have, and a search on this topic brought up nothing relevant to my particular question.

In playing a recent scenario, I had several turns where allied air pounded the axis and a few stray allied troops who were in close contact. After about a 7 or 8 turn hiatus, some axis air showed up and did attack runs on my tank column. My only reason for assuming both sides had air was that the initial round of attacks concentrated on the axis lines and the second round specifically targeted my allied tanks in the open.

I wonder if the aircraft shadow is generic or an indicator of the type of plane? The axis shape looked awfully similar to an FW-190.

I think that air support is treated like reinforcements - there is X% chance per turn (non-cumulative) of it turning up. Sometimes your lucky & it turns up early - sometimes late or never. I don't think there is any modelling of local air superiority - but there may be different % chance of axis & allied air suppot arriving. (Happy to be corrected here. smile.gif )I have just had nearly all my armour wacked by Jabos... - pesky buggers turned up about 3/4 way through game & never left!

I believe Rattus is correct.

they are like reinforcements and there is no local air superiority.

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rattus:

I think that air support is treated like reinforcements - there is X% chance per turn (non-cumulative) of it turning up. Sometimes your lucky & it turns up early - sometimes late or never. I don't think there is any modelling of local air superiority - but there may be different % chance of axis & allied air suppot arriving. (Happy to be corrected here. smile.gif )I have just had nearly all my armour wacked by Jabos... - pesky buggers turned up about 3/4 way through game & never left! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>