Kill rings?

Hi everybody,

I know BTS are probably a little too far into finishing development to take this suggestion into account, but I figured it would make a nice discussion topic for the rest of us while we wait...

Wouldn't it be nice, in 'campaign mode', to have AFVs and AT guns paint kill rings on their tubes, based on their kills in the previous battles? Additionally, veteran and elite units could have some from the start.

Just adding a few extra textures for the gun barrels wouldn't be that much work, I suppose. It would make it easier for the player to distinguish his elites from his regulars on screen, but I would like to make the kill rings a gameplay element, too. Upon spotting a unit with kill rings, the opposing AI could react in several ways:

- Target the units with the kill rings with a higher priority (they've proven to be more dangerous).

- Panic more easily ("Ohmygod, it's Wittmann! Run!").

BTW, I don't propose to actually change the units' experience level, a la Panzer General (e.g. Green + 2 kills = Regular). BTS already pointed out why this doesn't make much sense in the timeframe of a Combat Mission campaign (I agree, mostly).

Of course, the infantry wouldn't be able to paint kill rings on their guns, but maybe they could adopt a Mohawk hairdo (wasn't that what the 101st AB did?) wink.gif

Well, I've droned on for too long already, time for your comments...

Marnix.

------------------

--

"A tank is an iron box containing courage." -- Heinz Guderian

Upon spotting a unit with kill rings, the opposing AI could react in several ways:

- Target the units with the kill rings with a higher priority (they've proven to be more dangerous).

- Panic more easily ("Ohmygod, it's Wittmann! Run!").

There's the problem that kill rings are not visible over long distance. I'd think that if _any_ tank was close enough that the kill rings would be visible, the enemy would target it with high priority. Also, if the fighting was particularly heavy there would not be time for paintings.

On subject of kill markings, I visited Finnish aviation museum two weeks ago. There was the tail fin of the Brewster Buffalo BW-393 on display. That particular Brewster destroyed 41 Soviet planes (all confirmed by Soviet records) and had 38 neat white boxes painted on it (the plane was destroyed by Soviet bombing raid before the last kill markings were painted). Ten pilots scored kills with it, among them Hans Wind (total 75, 2nd in FAF) and Eino Luukkanen (total 56, 3rd in FAF).

BTW, I found out that Flight Sergeant Oiva Tuominen (44 total kills) was an ace with three different plane models: Me-109 (13), Fiat G.50 (23), and Gloster Gladiator (6.5) (The 1.5 "missing" victories were with Fokker D.XXI). Were there any pilots in other air forces who managed to do that feat? (A biography of Tuominen (among with a lot of other aces) can be found at http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/tuomin/tuomin.htm

- Tommi