TCP-IP with dsl AND regular modem

Hello there folks! I'm having trouble playing a tcp game with a friend of mine. My computer has both a regular dial up modem AND a dsl modem.

I read in the manual how I can check to see what my "real" isp number is. I did that. The problem (I think) is that my opponent has the same setup (both kinds of modems). While he is indeed typing in my "correct" isp number, his Combat Mission is still seeing his "fake" isp address.

Again, this is what I THINK is the problem. I'm not real versed in this stuff. Can anyone shed any light on this situation so we can get a game going? By the way, I HAVE played a TCP/IP game with another guy before, so I know it works on my system. Help?

Ed

if you are using PPPoE, just look at the info for your DSL dialup.. should ahve a tray icon that shows it. if not, and you can't see what's happening by using ipconfig and checking which stack has a gateway shown, you can use this address to see what your IP is:

http://www.babygrrl.com/ip.shtml

You might want to use that with ipcinfig and experiment to see which IP stack represents your internet connection as there's no telling how lone that URL will be up.

I tried a game against myself using my PC (PPPoE) and PowerBook (dial-up). With PC setting up a QB, there is no hassle.

You may wish to check your and your friend's network configuration to see if you have added a fake address.

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Guest Madmatt

Combat Mission doesn't force any IP to be used, rather as a client it attempts to connect to the address type in. As a host it doesn't nothing but wait for a what is called a *ping* regardless of what connection it comes in from. That's why CM may report one IP address to the host but actually work fine when using one you got using winipcfg.

The key is in the person connecting. They have to be typing the address in correctly otherwise the two systems will never see each other.

Lets use an analogy. The Host is like your wife waiting for you on a street bench somewhere. The client is you driving around looking for her. The IP address for the host that Combat Mission reports are like the directions and street name she gave you TO the bench where she is waiting.

Now, while she was sure she gave you the right directions, we all know that she might have been, ummm slightly mistaken. She may have given you the directions that a friend gave her or a shortcut she knows about or she may have even gotten up and walked to a different bench.

The one thing that is constant is that she is waiting and you have to have the right address to find her.

In the next patch for Combat Mission we will help by listing ALL the directions (multiple IP's) that there may be. We still can't tell you which one is the right address, but we will be able at least show you all the ones it *could* be and that will help a great deal.

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Compassion:

might also have it automatically disregard all 0.0.0.0 and 192.168.x.x addys to maybe clear things up a bit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't want to ignore the 192.168.x.x, because you'll use that when friends come over and plug into the router in your home network.

------------------

Slayer of the Original Cesspool Thread.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisl:

You don't want to ignore the 192.168.x.x, because you'll use that when friends come over and plug into the router in your home network.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...one would assume that if a DSL router is running or some NAT setup is operating on a home peer network that at lease one of the people involved would know the correct ip addys... only talking about the "your IP address is:" display... not the inner workings of the network setup in the game.

Guest Madmatt

I don't think we can have it disregard any address. It's just a function of the IP reporting code that Charles is using.

Madmatt

Hmmm. I don't hink I'm making myself clear... THe network code itself is not what I'm proposing to adjust. It's just the "IP Reporting code," as Matt says. that I am proposing to have ignore obvious unused stacks or NAT addys (or maybe a switch to tell the game that it's going to be a game on a network or the internet?... Never mind, that would get too complicated with NAT setups that use non192.168 addys....).