Fun with Artillery

Anyone try this? Engage the US infantry at close range for a few turns and then make a quick withdrawl. The US AI will start dropping artillery ripping their own infantry to shreds. The trick is to not let your own troops get pinned down and provide good cover for their withdrawl. The artillery will stop any pursuit from the US side allowing the Germans a safe escape.

Guest Michael emrys

Now that's what I call using the old bean. smile.gif

Reminds me of kind of the opposite advice Patton gave to his troopers. He told them that if they wanted to live to see their grandchildren, the best thing they could do when they spotted German infantry would be to close with them immediately. That way, the Germans couldn't call down mortar or artillery fire on them without endangering their own troops.

Michael

***SPOILER WARNING***

Of course if you even peek at this forum without playing the gold scenarios first they are going to be spoiled.

***SPOILER WARNING***

My favorite kraut tactic in VOT is to take my best infantry platoon and rush up the left side into the far left quarter pine woods. I'll then move up and right a bit setting up a quick ambush. The fight is short and brutal but I can usually wipe out several US platoons and maybe some heavy weapons and leader units too before being annihilated. The US invariably calls in artillery on the area blasting both US and krauts with treebursts. But the german platoon is usually doomed anyway so this is ok.