New Solo Scenarios.....

_Neptune

Hello. I've been playin TacOps for a while now and am really glad a realistic simulator like this exists for civilians. I also really appreciate the time and dedication Major H and others have given to the game and its users.

I was wondering if there any more solo scenarios available or planned. I ask because, if you include the variants, many of the scenarios use the same map/s. This of course makes sense for training, so that people can see where they went wrong, and attempt the mission again. However, as a solo player it becomes a little redundant, because it doesn't take too long to learn where all the most advantageous positions are, regardless of the force size, and sometimes even the objective. Particularly in the area of recon, mobility, and massing fires.

I do not know how the coding or mechanics of TacOps work,...would it be possible to make a patch or something that would allow the player to change maps, as long as it has the same number of objectives? In other words, if a scenario has 2 Objectives, say A and B,the player loads a new map and point and clicks, like saying "this is now objective A and this is the new Objective B.

Could this be done or is it much more complicated than that?

Also wondering has anyone ever thought of having the LOS tool as a semi-transparent circle that extends in radius from the unit? The areas not visible would be like darkened "pie slices".

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have dodged making new scenarios myself because I kept expecting each year to complete a scenario creator/editor that would allow users to make their own scenarios to share, complete with an AI opponent. Obviously I have not been successful in that plan and it doesn't look good for this year either.

>I do not know how the coding or mechanics of TacOps work,...would it be

>possible to make a patch or something that would allow the player to

>change maps, as long as it has the same number of objectives? In other

>words, if a scenario has 2 Objectives, say A and B,the player loads a new

>map and point and clicks, like saying "this is now objective A and this is

>the new Objective B.

>Could this be done or is it much more complicated than that?

No. The TacOps AI computer opponent does not work that way.

>Also wondering has anyone ever thought of having the LOS tool as a

>semi-transparent circle that extends in radius from the unit? The areas

>not visible would be like darkened "pie slices".

That is on the wish list. It is much harder to do than it sounds.

What many folks do to vary the solo games is modifiy the OOB with the change unit feature. You can easily switch out Javelins with Dragons and M1s with M60s, and Bradleys with M113s. And totally change your tactical situation. Makes taking on the red horde much more challenging

Dennis

Hey all!

You may dimly remember me as minmax. I am back after a long hiatus and wanted to say hello to the olde timers.

Major,

I was wondering how much coding it would take to allow the solo scenarios to randomly select the level at which you would play the AI? So as the player I would have no idea if I was facing say Craig at level one or level eight. That would be my request until you coded new solo scenarios.

I would gladly send you coding elves or slaves if I had any.

I gave up programming when I learned basic, then pascal was all the rage so I learned it, then fortran hit the streets. Today, the only C+ I want to know is in vitamins.

And yes, using older equipment is also a great way to challenge skills.

In my history classes I can simulate 19th century and early 20 century warfare. It is a great teaching aid for students of this era.

"Mr. Johnson its just not smart to line up and shoot at each other like that! Its unfair!"

"Vae Victus"