Combat Mission/Close combat first impressions

*Cue impression of one of these blow-in types we get every fortnight or so*.

You're all bloody wrong.

Combat Mission SHOULD be made into a continuous time strategy game as opposed to a real-time game.

By having the game be continuous time we won't have dramatic and unrealistic pauses in action yet by having it be continuous time the rate at which time passes could be lowered sufficiently such that a player could easily command entire Battalions with ease.

I have an idea for how this could be done and, even though I've never designed anything more complex than a circle in my life ( and later found out circles don't have corners.. damnit) I have full confidence in my ability to create the perfect wargame design.

It will feature WONDROUS graphics, BRILLIANT AI, COMPLEX physics calculations and be completely unfettered by the realities of CPU cycles. How? Well, it just CAN be done. I don't believe all these people who say it can't be done. The laws of mathematics are only there to be broken. I mean they ARE called "elementary laws" right?

Well, I have a high school education which is higher than an elementary education so, obviously, these elementary, aka easy, laws can be overcome by one as gifted both mentally and rectally as myself.

The larger the battle the slower gametime will run. This simple method will mean that the game regulates ITSELF depending on the number of units one must command such that it NEVER presents you with a clickfest.

Imagine commanding entire armies in "continuous time". It'd be awesome... Of course, with the simulated speed of 1 realminute to one ten thousandth of a game second SOME people would quit but those people just aren't capable of sharing my "glorious vision".

Listen, I know what I'm talking about, I think two games which are VERY different once we look at them in any way deeply are virtually identical. I also don't realise the differences between 2D and 3D but my daddy always said that if you ignore a problem it'll eventually go away.... It didn't work when that juggernaut hit him as he crossed the street though.. hmm?

BLAH. BLAH. BLAH.

Sad thing is I've seen people espouse each of the views I've exaggerated upon above. Some people really think that CC's AI and physics doesn't suffer from having to share CPU cycles with its continuous-time engine. Others really don't see any major issues (performance or engine-wise) with switching from 2d to 3d or vice versa.

Ceapaimid go amadain iad ach nilim abalta e a ra anseo.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fionn:

Sad thing is I've seen people espouse each of the views I've exaggerated upon above. Some people really think that CC's AI and physics doesn't suffer from having to share CPU cycles with its continuous-time engine. Others really don't see any major issues (performance or engine-wise) with switching from 2d to 3d or vice versa.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. Most people don't have much idea about how computer works and just don't see (don't want to see) or just don't care enought to see differences between CC and CM. Computer has to be quick enough for CM RT - but what does this mean? Is that 1GHz, 10GHz, 100GHz? At certain point you will be able to have AI, simulation and graphics running smooth with some idle CPU cycles... When???...

Just to clarify: I can't stand clickfest games - where reaction time is everything. I was talking about 1/4 RT in order to CM not becoming a clink fest - not because at 1/x speed we can finally have real time. And if someone wants clickfest let them eat the cake.

By the way I will support BTS even if they will continue current WEGO system - but I won't play multiplayer...

It is the best combat simulation right now. PERIOD.