Frontages?

What are "standard" frontages for battalions and companies in WW2? I suppose the standard frontage would be where the front lines are well-defined, and the situation is relatively static. Also, I suppose the frontages would be different if you are on the attack or holding a position.

Anyone have any insight?

This'll be appropriate when designing scenarios.

Of course, there will be plenty of scenarios where a unit is out there on their lonesome. In "Roll Me Over", the author's company is trucked from town to town in Germany with orders to take the town.

I used to have a diagram which laid out a "textbook" battalion attack, complete with frontages for all squads, platoons and companies, and desired spacing intervals for any normal type of attack. Unfortunately I can't find it rolleyes.gif

What I do recall is that the frontage was quite small. The attack formation was deeper than it was wide, with only a small percentage of the combat element up front. I have some numbers lurking in my head, but I'll hang onto them lest I accidentally mislead you.

I'll keep looking for it and advise you.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Thanks for the search idea - I forgot about that discussion.

To sum up and simplify (although it's good reading), a squad takes up about a tile, a platoon takes up 100 - 200 yards, and a company takes up 200 - 500 yards on the attack.

How about a battalion in various situations? Has anyone read anything different?

Here's a surprising find:

I couldn't find the diagram of an infantry battalion deployment that I was looking for, but I did find one for an armoured brigade, British, 1943 vintage. Brigade frontage for a frontal attack was 600 metres. Depth of assault formation was over one mile for the combat element alone, and divided into three echelons. Talk about your Schwerpunkt! smile.gif

The individual units of the armoured brigade could be arranged to suit the situation, but the overall layout is three parallel columns, with a 200 metre spacing between them. This puts the frontage of the individual columns at about 70 metres, give or take. There is a 50 metre spacing for each follow-up group behind the lead group and a 200 metre spacing between echelons. All of this is of course adjustable based on terrain.

The doctrine was a poor one and even by 1944 after some tweaking had not addressed the need for combined arms. Tanks and infantry are distinctly separated in different echelons.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

Guest Big Time Software

Frontages in reality were ALL OVER THE PLACE smile.gif Generally units were fighting at or below their designed density. This is the simple rule of war that there is never enough men and stuff to cover everything effectively. However, during a massive concentrated effort you might find a really crazy density of troops operating in a small area. Dunno the depth, but the 12th SS was attacking along a 500m front with almost a full Regiment vs. the US defenders in Dom Bertigen (sp?). The result was the near anhilation of the 12th SS as a fighting formation. Why? 8inch howitzers make quick work of such densely packed troops, in mud, in the open, attacking a defended village wink.gif

Steve

Personally I cover about 50 metres with a platoon on the attack but use the platoon as my maneuvre elements and not the company so very rarely would I order an entire company forward at a time in a co-ordinated attack..

Also frontage depends MASSIVELY on the terrain and what YOU want to accomplish with the move.

In one current game I have platoon frontages of roughly 20 metres for most of my platoons thus leaving MASSIVE gaps in my front since I'm really only forming "islands of resistance" so as to confuse and harass my opponent.

The frontage on the attack or defense will also be dictated by the ability to keep units under command.

I'm learning to love my high experience high attribute bonus leaders. The Company HQ in Riesberg for the Germans is a Vet with high command and morale abilities and he is proving very useful in keeping far-flung shattered units under control.

Jason