Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

MG 34 : Firing on the move

Hi Steve,

I just got an interesting Email from one of my fellow clan members and it made me wonder if this had been adressed/allowed in CM.

Basically what I wanted to know is if the MG 34 is modelled and under what conditions it is able to fire; eg prone, sitting standing moving or what have you :-P, and the reaoning behind it.

I have some excellent photographs that show this weapon in action

Thx

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader....out

For CM's time frame I don't think MG34s are modelled for anything other than vehicles. I've seen pictures, including some recently taken ones in full color of MG34s fired from all sorts of positions.

The most interesting were the pictures of the weapon being fired on the move. One guy holds the weapon and rests it on the shoulder of the man in front of him. The man in front holds ammo and is hunched over. This way they can keep up with their squad mates at a slow jog and still have a semi-stable firing platform if need be. I hope I've described the picture correctly. Basically the guy in front acts as a walking bipod.

Jason

I saw them in a book called "German Automatic Weapons" while browsing in Barnes & Noble.

I believe that CM does model fire while on the move for all sorts of weapons. For instance, it is much easier to fire an M1 while moving that it is a Kar98K.

I think this topic came up many moons ago and the keeper of knowledge, Steve, said that it was modeled.

Jason

"Clan Mailing List" ?

Umm, I kind of hesitate to ask but which clan?

In Europe I figure we'd only mostly know about one CLAN in the US.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

As Fionn said, the MG34 is not modeled for anything but vehicles that would have them (i.e. ball mounted or coax). Yes, you can fire on the move with an MG34/42. Not done too often though as the gunner has to prep for it. CM handles fire on the move generically by penalizing the firepower of the unit based on its weapon make up. As Jason said, a unit with Kar98ks isn't going to have the same degree of fire on the move potential as a SMG unit.

Steve