You utter utter B*&^%"£*s!!

Thank you BTS for ruining my life :) I first spotted CM 18months/2yrs ago when it was but a gleam in your eye and thought 'that looks nice, I wonder if it will ever be released.' A couple of months ago I ran across it again and bought it...

That's the problem, as a wargame player/designer for 25 odd years I had finally found something which is close to being the perfect game, I'm now a complete addict - I rant & rave about the game to my gaming group and they are beginning to look at me a bit oddly - my family is starting to forget what I look like and my work colleagues think I'm nuts.

Anyway, forgive the rant, I just had to say something - I will now retreat to 'lurk mode' for a while and suck down some more of those awesome mods that you guys are doing.

When I finally stop twitching and muttering 'just one more round and I'll go to bed' I'll have a go at creating a couple of scenarios.

------------------

It'll never hit me from the........

From what I've seen so far on this forum you are a great bunch of guys - a thought - I've just got hold of a couple of books by Patrick Delaforce (The Polar Bears - 49th Div and Monty's Ironside - 3rd Div) - they are detailed divisional histories from D-day onwards and look like a good source of material for scenarios.

Aaarghh!! my 7yr old son just said 'Daddy, why don't you move that tank over there and shoot him from behind' - Me - moves Sherman - Panther immediately blows crap out of Sherman - I must have been neglecting his education smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Norman:

I've just got hold of a couple of books by Patrick Delaforce (The Polar Bears - 49th Div and Monty's Ironside - 3rd Div) - they are detailed divisional histories from D-day onwards and look like a good source of material for scenarios.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be careful with Delaforce's books, they're rather mixed & contain some historical errors. Also he appears to plagiarise blatantly both unit histories & secondary material. For example a case could be made that for his history of the 11th Armoured Division, The Black Bull (1993)he lifted large chunks directly without acknowledgement from Normandy, the British Breakout by Major J J How, William Kimber 1981 ISBN 0-7183-0118-8

Having said that they're not a bad place to start & should point you in the direction of some rather better primary & secondary sources.

regards,

Conall

[This message has been edited by Conall (edited 11-19-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Conall:

Be careful with Delaforce's books, they're rather mixed & contain some historical errors. Also he appears to plagiarise blatantly both unit histories & secondary material. For example a case could be made that for his history of the 11th Armoured Division, The Black Bull (1993)he lifted large chunks directly without acknowledgement from Normandy, the British Breakout by Major J J How, William Kimber 1981 ISBN 0-7183-0118-8

Having said that they're not a bad place to start & should point you in the direction of some rather better primary & secondary sources.

regards,

Conall<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a number of his books, and while I don't know about plagiarising (did not check for that), I can say that a lot of the stuff he uses has been published elsewhere, there are some quotes you come across again and again. I think the real contribution he is making is that he gives you an overview of divisional histories, instead of the usual regimental (=batallion in the UK) histories. He is also a bit gung-ho about the performance of the UK units, unless it is undeniable that they screwed up (e.g 6th DWR) Having said all that, I would not spend the full price on any of his books, but they can be picked up for a fiver in a lot of places, and they are worth that.

Oh, and welcome Norman.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-19-2000).]