Suggestion: map markers

LittleTim

Something that might be added to TacOps is the ability for the user to place little markers on the map. This way when you spot a unit for a moment you can mark the area where you saw it, so you don't forget. This feature would be useful during long PBM games. I'm not sure how the user would place the markers, perhaps a right-click option, but drawing them could be done the same way wrecks are done.

I wrote a little win app to do something like this, but I think that having a feature like this integrated in TacOps would be ideal.

Ok, I understand. That was one of the reasons why I asked.

So, I wrote a little program I call Push Pin. First off, because I use C# transparency calls, you need to be running win2K or XP with the .NET framework installed (I'm sorry).

Push Pin has a translucent window that you can click on to mark locations over the Tacops map that you can (mostly) see under the Push Pin window. These markers can be red, blue, or yellow, and are labeled by the turn number they were placed. Also, there is the option of indicating direction.

The Push Pin window can also become totally transparent, just showing the outline of the markers you have placed. This allows you to click through the window to give orders on the Tacops map under it.

You can save/load marks and generate a .names file when given two reference points.

If you're interested, and willing at accept executables from some strange guy you met on the net smile.gif , please send me an e-mail at awhitcomb@mindspring.com

I'm proud of my program and I'm keen to see if other people find it useful.