CM History and Stories

Guest kking199

Guest kking199

Being relatively new to the CM family I am really curious about what the game was like in it's early beta form(s). I (we) would love to hear from any person who was there at the beginning to give us any good stories, nasty bugs, or humurous ancedotes about CM's short but illustrious (sp?) history.

While I am at it, I want to thank all those persons who did help make CM what it is today. Your blood, sweat, and tears are appreciated!

Ok... so where are the easter eggs?!?!

Colin put up some old screen shots from the beta days on his web site at http://cm4mac.tripod.com/hero.html

Those were the days......how many times did we play Chance Encounter and Reisberg????? Alot. Actually, what was so heady was to find something so cool, so what we had been hoping to have some day....

But the real ache was in knowing that the real deal was approaching.....er someday....which led to the infamous Night of the Refreshing Monkeys which crashed the BTS server..... ah memories

------------------

Official 3000th poster to the original Peng thread and present at it's demise

[This message has been edited by jdmorse (edited 10-31-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Well, a good source of info would be the now famous Classic Alpha Battle After Action Report posted at CMHQ. This pitted Forum Bad Boy Fionn Kelly versus Moon.

It had thrills, chills and a nasty Jabo airstrike and was played on, I think, Beta version 19 or so. The first beta demo (released last year in Novemeber IIRC) was based on Beta 35 or so, just to put this all in perspective.

You can find it in our Archives area loctaed right HERE:

http://combathq.thegamers.net/battle/aar.asp

Enjoy!

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission and home of the CMMC

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest MantaRay

Ya boy did/do I hate Reisberg still. I have been lurking/active here for a year, and to some I am still a newbie.

Do some of you remember thinking how you would have gladly spent that $50 on just the beta? Now look at how CM has grown and matured...brings a tear to my eye.

Ray

Guest Madmatt

I still find myself playing Last Defense! I played it last night in fact to test something. After almost a year of that one I still can find new ways to take that town before turn 10! wink.gif

Maybe I could try it as Americans once.... Hmmm....

Madmatt

Nasty bugs? The beta was more stable than any wargame I ever owned (not to mention microsludge office)... I couldn't believe it was free.

LD was really my favorite, from either side, but I'm sure I played Chance Encounter far more, like the rest of us. Those three beta battles probably got more ink than Waterloo.

It's fun to search topics and run across threads from before last Christmas... the old handles, controversies, speculations, and occasional flames... I know a lot of those guys are still around under different handles (after the First Great Board Crash wiped a lot of them).

That was when "sycophants" were the rage (long before the hamster craze), the dead body debate was in full swing, and breathless anticipation was in the air. People predicted the demise of the PC gaming industry if the game wasn't released within a week. Panzerfausts wouldn't target. We voted on the TCP/IP exclusion almost a year ago (and boy, am I glad it went the way it did!).

Wonder whatever became of Schrodi... not. The first arch-villain of the BBS.

I'm right around a year with this game and board and I still can't believe how good it's been. More than a game... a way of life!

then you should try my modified Chance Encounter. Should try it as the Amis, and let me know if you are interested....plays a lot differently now...

Rune

Also, anyone else itnerested, let me know..

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Nasty bugs? The beta was more stable than any wargame I ever owned (not to mention microsludge office)... I couldn't believe it was free.

LD was really my favorite, from either side, but I'm sure I played Chance Encounter far more, like the rest of us. Those three beta battles probably got more ink than Waterloo.

It's fun to search topics and run across threads from before last Christmas... the old handles, controversies, speculations, and occasional flames... I know a lot of those guys are still around under different handles (after the First Great Board Crash wiped a lot of them).

That was when "sycophants" were the rage (long before the hamster craze), the dead body debate was in full swing, and breathless anticipation was in the air. People predicted the demise of the PC gaming industry if the game wasn't released within a week. Panzerfausts wouldn't target. We voted on the TCP/IP exclusion almost a year ago (and boy, am I glad it went the way it did!).

Wonder whatever became of Schrodi... not. The first arch-villain of the BBS.

I'm right around a year with this game and board and I still can't believe how good it's been. More than a game... a way of life!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rune:

then you should try my modified Chance Encounter. Should try it as the Amis, and let me know if you are interested.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me it's got (an even slightly) different OOB and yer on (back this weekend).

A different OOB? Why I would make Berli look like a good guy compared to what I did. Muah ha ha ha

Rune

Will send it to you when I get home.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Tell me it's got (an even slightly) different OOB and yer on (back this weekend).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>