music implemented in CM

Guest Captain Manieri

Guest Captain Manieri

I was playing Talonsoft's WF a few minutes ago. I was thinking to myself on the music involved. Songs like, "Fatherland Beloved" and stuff like that. And some classical score as well. My question is NOT, "will" music be put in CM. I already know the answer to that is NO. But my question is, "why?"

-Check out a Captain Manieri article about D-day and CM at LINDAN's CM WARGASM site!!

[This message has been edited by Captain Manieri (edited 05-21-2000).]

> My question is NOT, "will" music be put in > CM. I already know the answer to that is

> NO. But my question is, "why?"

Just a guess. Regardless of how good the music in a wargame is, it tends to get turned off after a few listens. Steel Panthers is a great example - the score was wonderful - but I don't think anyone kept listening to it after the first week or two. So it's probably not really worth the effort from a programming standpoint.

Another reason - the sound effects in combat mission are really important from a gameplay point of view - often the first indication of an enemy unit is just the sound of them firing at you, and having music playing at the same time would interfere with the audio feedback of the game. I usually have my stereo playing when I play games, but with CM I tend to turn it off so I can hear the battlefield sounds.

p.

Guest Big Time Software

We thought a musical score during the game would detract from immersion.

OB&G - if you like RotV, check out my earlier Over the Reich game. Focke Wulf 190s go very well with Wagner. smile.gif

Charles