The official line on house rules

I need an answer to a question that's cropped up elsewhere: are house rules against tactics like edge-hugging and the fast jeep recon thingy mandatory, or are players free to decide between themselves prior to a game whether or not they apply.

I'd also appreciate reply from BTS on this just for the record.

Many thanks

By definition house rules imply that they are not official and not accepted by everyone. When you are playing Monopoly don't you talk to the other person about whether $500 goes into the middle for people who land on Free Parking or do you contact Hasbro for the official word? smile.gif Talk to your PBEM oponents and come to an amiable arrangement.

--Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maastrictian:

When you are playing Monopoly don't you talk to the other person about whether $500 goes into the middle for people who land on Free Parking or do you contact Hasbro for the official word? smile.gif Talk to your PBEM oponents and come to an amiable arrangement.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey you that that thing with free parking too? I always thought it was a great idea.

smile.gif Great way of getting yourself out of a hole too.

The reason I ask isn't because of a disagreement over the conduct of a game. I can figure out the desirabalilty of a gentleman's agreement for myself. I've been involved in a discussion of the whole question of house rules in another forum, and someone there claims that BTS has come out in favour of such house rules being mandatory for all.

It sounds very unlikely to me, but I thought I should check my facts, as I missed a few chunks of that whole debate (mainly when it started to get tiresome). Hence the request for clarification from BTS.