Australian Equipment I know of:

Rame

Here is some Australian equipment I know of:

AN-TPQ-36 Firefinder Radar (use US)

ASLAV 120mm SP Gun/Mortar (not in TACOPS)

ASLAV-25 IFV (use US LAV25 IFV)

ASLAV-A (Ambulance) (use Can Ambulance Bison)

ASLAV-C (Command Vehicle) (use US LAV25 C&C or Can Bison Command Post)

ASLAV-F (Repair Vehicle) (use US LAV25 AMRV))

ASLAV-PC (APC) (use CAN Bison)

ASLAV-S (Surveillance) (not in TACOPS)

ASLAV-TOW (TOW armed IFV) (not in TACOPS)

AW50F .50cal Anti-Material Rifle (not in TACOPS yet?)

Black Hawk S70A-9 Helo (use US UH-60 Blackhawk)

Chinook CH-47D Helo (use US Helo,CH47)

L119 105mm FG (use CAN Howizter, Towed 105mm LG1)

Landrover 110 FFR Radio Vehicle) (use any LUV,LR 4X4)

Leopard AS1 MBT

LRPV 6X6 (Long Range Patrol Vehicle) (use AU/NZ LUV,LR 6X6 w/LMG,HMG)

M198 155mm Towed Howitzer (use US Howitzer,Towed 155mm M198)

Mack Gun Tractor (for towing M198) (use US Truck, Cargo 5t?)

Mack Wrecker (use ?)

Rapier FSC Air Defence System (not in TACOPS)

RBS-70 Man Portable SAM (not in TACOPS)

Unimog Truck (use similar CAN Truck,Cargo LSVW)

Originally posted by Rame:

ASLAV 120mm SP Gun/Mortar (not in TACOPS)

I alread asked for this as a "experimental" vehicle for use with the US. The OPFOR BTR based mortar vehicle may be used as a substitute. Armor values will not be correct but it will do until wish list item #1125 ( :D just guessing) is added to the database.

Dennis

I can add a couple of things to that list Rame.

ASLAV3 IFV - (Not in TacOps. The LAV-25 is equivalent to the ASLAV1, however the ASLAV3 is far superior)

ARH Tiger - (I don't think this is in TacOps. It is a gunship, but is not as heavy as the Apache. The US does have a similiar roled helicopter but I understand that it is outdated and the project to replace it has been scrapped.)

You know, it's a shame that we don't have any people from any OPFOR countries who could actually suggest units that are missing from the TacOps OPFOR database.

[ April 03, 2004, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Tory the Magnus ]

Originally posted by Tory the Magnus:

You know, it's a shame that we don't have any people from any OPFOR countries who could actually suggest units that are missing from the TacOps OPFOR database.

I use OPFOR SPG9's to sub for 75mm recoiless weapons for Korean scenerios.

I often customize the standard scenerios by changing the weapons of the opfor and blue force.

When you say Korean scenarios I assume you mean US vs DPRK. If that is so then why would you replace a DPRK weapon with an OPFOR weapon when they both use Russian made weapons in the first place? Would the DPRK army already use SPG9's?

An interesting idea also came to me when reading this post. In TacOps the OPFOR real world tehcnology is no match for BLUEFOR. So to actually get a fair game you need to check the options that improve OPFOR warheads and give all their vehicles thermal sights. So what will happen in future installments of TacOps as BLUEFOR military technology gets even further and further ahead of OPFOR? For me I think that Western countries will probably start fighting each other and so other alliances will become the new OPFOR.

When you say Korean scenarios I assume you mean US vs DPRK. If that is so then why would you replace a DPRK weapon with an OPFOR weapon when they both use Russian made weapons in the first place? Would the DPRK army already use SPG9's?

To the best of my knowledge they use a recoiless rifle but not the SPG9. And yes I was refering to the folks up north.

An interesting idea also came to me when reading this post. In TacOps the OPFOR real world tehcnology is no match for BLUEFOR. So to actually get a fair game you need to check the options that improve OPFOR warheads and give all their vehicles thermal sights. So what will happen in future installments of TacOps as BLUEFOR military technology gets even further and further ahead of OPFOR? For me I think that Western countries will probably start fighting each other and so other alliances will become the new OPFOR.

Another interesting scenerio idea. I have not replaced OPFOR weapons with western one but it could be interesting. Say do a Harold Coyle "The 10,000" scenerio.

Now this may sound blashpemous but I don't know who Harold Coyle is or what his "The 10,000" was. But regardless a BLUEFOR and REDFOR battle with both sides using western weapons would be very interesting and provide a whole host of tactical problems to entertain players.

I don't know why the opinion that Western countries will start fighting each other some time isn't more wide spread as it seems logical to me. With there only being one Super Power in the world and the diminishment of the number of OPFOR countries capable of taking on a western army in a conventional war it seems that the western countries will have to fight each other over the various resources still free in the world. Battlefield: Antarctica anyone?

Harold Coyle is a fiction writer similar to Tom Clancy without the spy stuff. He was an armor officer in the US army before writing. The book the 10,000 was about the US army in Germany fighting their way out after an extremist government takes office and desires the US forces to surrender and leave the country. Fiction yes but it could make some interesting gaming.

. . .I don't know why the opinion that Western countries will start fighting each other some time isn't more wide spread as it seems logical to me. . . .

The simple answer is that no two modern democracies have ever fought each other. In a multi party system, the party that can avoid war usually wins. In a business oriented economy, most business people do NOT profit from war and make sure their favorite politicians know that. The sad fact is that most of the wars going on right now are not even in the news. They are happening in the world's poorest countries in Africa and Asia where there is no oil and there are no cozy hotels for network journalists to file satellite reports from.

Check out globalsecurity.org or strategypage.com for info on some the mayhem taking place. A lot more people are being killed in Africa right now than in Iraq.

"Coyote"

[ April 08, 2004, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Coyote ]

Thanks Coyote, I will do that.

However, has anyone here ever heard about a game called Ironstorm? The storyline goes pretty much like this, it is alternate history by the way. During WW1 the British and their allies, as well as the Germans and their allies, had spent so much money on the war that they where starting to go broke yet the war was still a stalemate. So in an effort to finance their war machines and win the war the nations involved listed their war efforts on the stock exchange and got people in countries not involved such as America and Japan to finance their war efforts by investing. As such, now none of the investors want the war to end as it is such big business and so WW1 never actually finished but has kept going to the present day.

It is a very interesting idea and one that could happen. Anyone fancy the idea of the US fighting the EU while the asian and middle eastern countries look on, and then invest in opposite sides to make loads of money? It could happen.

Also OPFOR might get a boost soon as I just heard that the Chinese economy has grown by 17% again this year. Once China gets rolling we could have another cold war on our hands. One sixth of the worlds population versus the country that spends more on military hardware than all the other countries in the world combined.

So in an effort to finance their war machines and win the war the nations involved listed their war efforts on the stock exchange and got people in countries not involved such as America and Japan to finance their war efforts by investing.

Rather a cute game concept but but not workable in real life. War is a condition, not a commodity and hence cannot be bought or sold. Unlike a mercenary unit :cool: which is a "company" selling its "services" to the highest bidder.

Once China gets rolling we could have another cold war on our hands.
A very serious possibilty and one that TacOps might be helpful in studying. I think one or two other players [i don't recall who] are working on a China v Taiwan scenario. Use Harpoon 3 to game the invasion forces crossing to Taiwan. Then use TacOps to model the individual engagements with forces that do get across.

I was thinking about it and have downloaded a number of small scale Taiwan maps but I don't have the time to create TacOps maps of Taiwan in the near future.

Happy Gaming

Just getting back on topic for a second. I have discovered a couple of OPFOR vehicles that are not present in TacOps.

The first is the T-90 which most of you probably know about already. But one I didn't know about was the BMP-3 which is supposedly superior to the BMP-2. Are these two new OPFOR vehicles going to be incorperated into the next version of TacOps Major H.?