BTS - Integral vehicles in restricted QBs

Guest Germanboy

Guest Germanboy

Hi, another one of my pet peeves smile.gif This has come up with the new UK infantry BN TO&E in 1.1 (thanks to Olle for reminding me). The same problem applies to German armoured Panzergrenadiers, and should[/] apply to US infantry BNs, since they ought to have prime movers for their towed AT guns. The problem is that it is not possible to buy these units in infantry only battles, because they have integrated vehicles. Is there any way to change that?

While we are at that - would it be possible to allow the German and US player to expend (small amounts of) points towards TDs in infantry only battles? Towards the end of the war, the German TO&E for VG divisions included Sturmgeschuetzabteilungen, and while they were not integral on-paper TO&E to the US infantry, many TD batallions were de facto assigned to an ID, AFAIK. This would give some spice to the infantry only battles since, as in REal Life there is always the possibility that one of the ubiquitous TDs or Stugs shows up to mess up your plans.

But that is secondary. I would like to see the vehicle problem addressed though. IMO if the vehicles are TO&E of an infantry unit, it should be possible to buy them in infantry only battles. This is not a biggy for me (very rarely play QBs in a way that affects it), but I hope that solving this problem will open the way to have more variety in general QBs.

Thoughts and comments?

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-04-2000).]

My solution in practice today:

Use "Mechanized" formations. Still plenty of points for infantry and support, but also room for the infantry vehicles.

The TDs you request should only be available with combined arms anyway, since they weren't an organic part of the infantry battalion, and usually not even the regiment (unless it perhaps was armoured infantry).

Still I wouldn't mind seeing yet another category for vehicles in CM, something between "Vehicles" and "Armor".

In Command Decision theres a category of "weak AFVs" that would do nicely. This is all AFVs that fulfill at least one of the following criteria:

- Wheeled or halftracked

- Open topped

- Thin armour (can't stop a regular rifle bullet)

These vehicles are somewhat vulnerable to small arms fire (not counting .50 cal into that category) and more vulnerable to plunging fire and infantry assaults.

Most TDs and other SPA would fit into this category, together with all armoured cars and armoured halftracks.

The vehicle categories would thus be:

Armoured, Weak Armour, Soft

Infantry formations would have fair access to soft vehicles (transports) and a little points for weak armour (organic recon and ATG towers).

Mechanised formations would have plenty of weak armour and a few soft and armoured vehicles, armoured being typically tanks (Sherman, Cromwell, Churchill) for the Allies and StugIII/IV, Hetzer or JpzIV for the Germans.

Cheers

Olle

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

Am I the only one who started to wonder about floating point tanks after reading the title?

- Tommi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well... i guess they left them out due to the different rounding errors on different processors.. biggrin.gif

------------------

TargetDrone cool.gif

Commander of the Smiley Liberation Force

[as allways corrected typos afterwards...]

[This message has been edited by TargetDrone (edited 12-05-2000).]