Troop Landings & Paratroops

I know there are assault boats -- don't know about landing craft. Paratroops are in, but I don't think you can actually have troops parachute in during a scenario (although you might be able to simulate something close with clever use of reinforcements).

I'd like to know if the Sherman DD tank is in the game. Anybody have any info?

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

I'd like to know if the Sherman DD tank is in the game. Anybody have any info?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I asked for the Duplex Drive Sherman some time back and since they weren't specifically modeling D-Day its self that wonderful swimming monster Sherman tank did not make it in...

Here's a picture of one if you are interested:

http://www.harrypalmergallery.ab.ca/galwareur2/ddtank.html

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"Remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sniperscope:

Also are their paratroops in the game?, landing all over the country side?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... given the 2-4 kilometer scale of the game, I think landing paratroops on-screen would be a relatively brief and dull affair.

A minute or two floating down, plus one more minute to post all the Eliminated markers.

I think the paratroops are assumed to have landed off-map, and hoofed it to wherever the shooting is. Otherwise, it's just skeet-shooting with MG42s, and whatever other nasties are down there.

"I think the paratroops are assumed to have landed off-map, and hoofed it to wherever the shooting is. Otherwise, it's just skeet-shooting with MG42s, and whatever other nasties are down there."

Perhaps, but I think it would look pretty cool seeing some 'chutes floating down. Especially if I was the one controlling the guys behind the MG42s. I have visions of that film footage from the Market Garden operation...

But I agree, probably not worth the coding effort.

IIRC, there are no landing craft. Nor, are there Sherman DD's. There may be a Sherman that is close to the DD model in the game, but I believe there's no actual DD variant. CM is not modeling the Normandy beach landings, etc. There have been a number of discussions on this. Try using the search function w/ keywords, beach, landing(s), etc.

No paradrops happening during game either. Paratroops are assumed to have landed already on the map area of play and/or moved onto it prior to the battle starting. Again, this has been discussed before. Try doing a search for more details.

Mikester out.

[This message has been edited by Mike D (edited 05-18-2000).]

I was wondering about the DD tank because not long ago I was playtesting an ASL conversion of an old SL scenario, "Bridgehead on the Rhine." It featured some British troops (the Black Watch IIRC) surrounded in a town east of the Rhine, with a column of troops moving to relieve them. The Brits also got a platoon of DD tanks that have to swim a river to join the battle. The scenario is based on an actual engagement, and the scenario designer probably didn't just throw in the DD tanks for grins. It's a little thing, but I was curious. I guess the desperate could build a "river" of fordable tiles that the tanks could successfully traverse.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>A minute or two floating down, plus one more minute to post all the Eliminated markers.

I think the paratroops are assumed to have landed off-map, and hoofed it to wherever the shooting is. Otherwise, it's just skeet-shooting with MG42s, and whatever other nasties are down there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been reading a lot lately about the Fallschirmj?gers. In two of the books I have, there is referance to tests the Germans conducted on firing at landing parachutist (they used dummies). I don't have the figures with me, but it appears that actually hitting a parachutist landing wasn't very easy.