Maj. Howard, I doff my cap !

I'm midway in "Ham and Jam". Have great respect for Maj. Howard and his men. Want to read more. Is Ambrose's "Pegasus Bridge" my best choice for first read? Other titles?

What happened to Maj. Howard? (A lengthy post war life I hope). Also, I growing great admiration for unsupported infantry operations.

Fubart,

I found "Pegasus Bridge" to be an excellent account of "Ham and Jam". It's based largely on extensive interviews Ambrose conducted with Major Howard and other members of the Ox and Bucks who participated in that action. I was very sad to hear of his passing. A true heroe.

You might also want to try "Pegasus Bridge/Merville Battery" by Carl Shilleto. It's actually a very detailed battlefield guide, but also provides very good accounts of the assaults on Pegasus Bridge and the Merville Battery, many aerial recon photographs and situation maps.

Here's also a very good "Ham and Jam" Site

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~njmckay/.htm

I'm with you on the great admiration for unsupported infantry operations.

IPA

PS.

The are two more Pegasus Bridge scenarios at the ASL maps for CM site, which cover the next few hours on D-Day after the initial capture-

http://w1.312.telia.com/~u31213280/index.htm

There's also a great assault on the Merville Battery Scenario at CMHQ (a few months old).

Although the Ambrose book is a good read, Maj. Howard said it was not accurate. To what degree, I can't remember (I was told second person, to someone who worked ona project with him).

However, it is a good read, and, Maj. John Howard was, and is, a hero.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Dr Brian,

Regarding accuracy.

You're right. Ambrose did mention this in the acknowledgements section of his book "Band of Brothers". He expressed some regrets at not having circulated the draft to the participants before hand and did admit that the changes and corrections that Major Howard wanted him to make were right. However, as Ambrose puts it "although it was their story, it was my book". As you stated it is a good read and from the other independent accounts that I've read, I've been unable able to spot any glaring conflicts in the sequence of events. I guess you'd have to had been there.

IPA