Infantry Guns

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schugger:

Thanks for the information, Olle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're welcome smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>For the indirekt fire usage:

Well, I usually play QB on medium maps and the depth is somewhat around 1000 meters, ... the most part of the enemy force is in your minimum range zone.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not for the 75mm gun.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>First, you need an additional HQ unit which could be more useful elsewhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each platoon has an HQ, why shouldn't gun batteries have their own?

Otherwise I'd have to use an infantry HQ, which would be very wrong, both historically and gamewise.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Second, IF is somewhat unprecise compared to DF<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a tradeoff. You gain defence with a hidden gun, but lose the precision.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Third, it is more difficult to redeploy an IG than mortar units,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best way I can think of to deploy them is somewhere in the rear, with a narrow field of fire diagonally over the map.

If IF is an option, this position can be used to cover a larger area with IF and still have the DF capability within the selected area. No need to redeploy.

Remember that my suggestion alters nothing to the DF mode, as it is currently, but adds the possibility to use the battery HQ as spotter for IF, when necessary/possible/desired.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Well, that is why I prefer to use the big guns in a direct fire support role, but this is of course a matter of personal taste.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you usually place them with a maximum FOF, then IF isn't necessary but the gun won't survive long. I recall a thread on how to use the IG in VoT, and the preference was to hide it in the rear. Given an IF possibility it would be effective even before any enemies came within it's sights, and then it would be as effective as it is now.

Cheers

Olle

I've had my doubts about DF only IG's and after reading this thread I also agree IG guns should have the IF ability. I never realised the charges for these guns were so variable. Surely on larger maps both game play and realism would be enhanced.

I understand BTS have alot of work in progress but shouldn't this be put to the end of the queue?

------------------