LOS woes

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere; I can't seem to do a search on this forum, it just goes away forever...

Likewise, apologies if I'm missing something obvious from the game manual. As the game is backordered, I'm still playing the demo.

Anyway...

Has anyone else encountered LOS ass-pains?

While playing village of (mumble), I wanted

to get a mortar unit into position where it

could both smoke (somebody) and then lay down HE on (somebody else) next turn. After the unit was in position, I went to use the smoke, and, "vision blocked". The line was red right from the position of my unit. Turns out, his vision was blocked by the terrain --he was sitting near the edge of a tile with a barely perceptible "bevel" to the next terrain tile. To get LOS I had to move the unit, oh, one "man length" forward, and then he could see. But that wasted a turn for that mortar.

What, are these guys eyeballs in their toes? The unit's location was "tall pines", but I did move him to a spot where there were no actual trees blocking his sight, as evidenced by the fact that the problem was solved by inching him forward that tiny amount.

Is there a way to determine what a given units LOS will be when he gets to a certain location?

Am I doing something stupid, or missing something obvious?

Anyone else had this happen?

erl

No, there is no way to do this.. You can recon yourself from view 1 (some folks think this is also gamey) but you have los views only from an actual unit..

And yes, this has been discussed much. Artillery is much more effective with a los but you are not restricted to firing when you don't have it.. Just watch out for the heavy caliber stuff (when you get your full copy).

"Danger close" should not be taken lightly. You can easily paste your own troops with scatter.

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

I've been practicing with LOS by playing QBs in very rugged terrain (steepest hills). One annoying thing that would be cool to see fixed is that the random maps will often have roads which aren't usable by vehicles because of steep slopes. The road building function should take slopes into account.

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Airborne:

"Danger close" should not be taken lightly. You can easily paste your own troops with scatter.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe I had this happen recently. One of my MG jeeps must have gotten too close to a 105 barrage and got a direct hit by a stray round. It went up in a truly spectacular blast and burst into flames. Surprisingly, at least one of the crew survived.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 08-17-2000).]