Why are pbem files so big?

I guess the pbem files are so big (I have had zip files over 1 mb) because the map is transmitted each time, otherwise I don't understand.

Some ISPs have a maximum amount of data that one can upload (including mail-this limit is usually much smaller than the download limit), and people playing many games in parallel at four pops a move might find themselves overshooting the limit and getting an unpleasant bill at the end of the month.

since the map doesn't change during a battle, only the unit data and terrain changes should be transmitted each turn.

It may be too much of a change for CM, but the programmers should keep this in mind for CM2.

Henri

Guest Rollstoy

When the PBEM file is essentially a movie file, then all the unit paths, actions and sounds during the turn have to be stored! That blows up the file. Little to be done about that ...

Regards, Thomm

Hiya there Henri. If ya notice when you first start the game the first few files are real small, like less than 20k. All these files are doing is transmitting the setup stuff (I.E. force choosing, conditions etc..). Then when player A does his first turn, the file is still small due to the fact it's only his movement/fire orders. Now when player B receives this file he also enters his movement/fire orders, the computer now crunches numbers and the resultant file for the first turn is the movie of the turn (big file). Player A receives movie, watches, then returns same big file back to player B to watch. The whole process is now repeated. Player B will do his next turn which only sends the small movement/fire order file back to player A, so on an so-forth. As the movies must be transmitted they have to be quite large. Hope this helps.

------------------

Thanks for Athskin!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JoePrivate:

I have found that scenarios with a large number of vehicles and their movement paths is what pushes the size of the movie pbem file up, upwards of 1.6 megs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a current PBEM, Fernando is helping me get those file sizes down - as he wipes out my forces they're gettin' REAL small....

Movie turn file size seems to depend both on number of units and complexity of terrain.

1. The movie turns of "Sherbrook Fusiliers", which is a "huge" scenario (battalion+ forces, very large but rather simple map in terms of elevation changes and terrain types), have all been about 2.2 megs through 15 turns, despite horrific losses on both sides.

2. The movie turns of my Valhalla1 scenario, which is "medium" (medium sized map but EXTREMELY compicated terrain involving a massive volcano, and only a reinforced platoon on each side on the map to start with), also run over 2 megs even when there is no combat.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html