Bug or poor quality units?

Berkut

I am playing taksforce peterjohn, I drew short straw and am going the iraqis.

Despite the weather and the decision to allow arty smoke to block thermals, he has knocked nearly 50% of my armour.

However I have observed a number of occasions where unsuppresed iraqi tanks with clear los and at some cases within 500 mtrs of a target are unwilling to open fire or return fire when fired upon.

I have checked to ensure that the firing priorities are not set too strictly. I don't think it can be the map, because it is occuring in too many spots.

Now is this a potential bug, or has a certain level of incompetence been coded into iraqi units?

AFAIK, all units are top quality, highly trained. In other words, there are no units with poor morale and training in TacOps.

What sort of targets are being ignored? I can imagine that the Iraqi tanks can't penetrate the front armor of M1 tanks. If they can't hurt it, they won't shoot at it. To that extent I guess you could say this is poor quality units.

What sort of targeting priorities do you have set? I find that I rarely need to set any, since the units themselves do a pretty good job.

Originally posted by tar:

AFAIK, all units are top quality, highly trained. In other words, there are no units with poor morale and training in TacOps.

What sort of targets are being ignored? I can imagine that the Iraqi tanks can't penetrate the front armor of M1 tanks. If they can't hurt it, they won't shoot at it. To that extent I guess you could say this is poor quality units.

What sort of targeting priorities do you have set? I find that I rarely need to set any, since the units themselves do a pretty good job.

Thanks for the reply.

They are mostly ignoring the M1 tanks. It is possible that they know they can't take out a M1 from the front and are refusing to fire, but it won't explain the occasions where they have side on shots and still won't open fire.

But even if they did know the capabilities of that tank, I reckon they would still fire in the hope of driving off the enemy or disabling him.

As for the targeting options. It has been ambush zones, and specific units being targetted. Alhtough never at the same time.

One final comment, I have Ko'd a number of his tanks through infantry attacks. They seem more than willing to do the job.

But the guys in my tanks don't seem willing at all.

Hmm. I checked the game just now, and the Iraqi T72M tanks should be able to penetrate the side of an M1 out to about 2km or so, so I would actually expect them to fire. They would not be able to take out the front armor, so they just don't bother.

As far as trying to "scare" them off: This doesn't work in TacOps. All troops are quite gung-ho and not subject to failures of will. This is especially true of vehicles. Infantry will at least get suppressed and go to ground. I'm not sure to what extent vehicles suffer from suppression, though.

The TacOps name for the T72 in Task Force Peterjohn is "T72M (IQ91)". This unit type respresents a poor quality export model of the T72 that was used in Iraq during Gulf War I. The main gun can not penetrate the front armor of the M1 at any range. The main gun can penetrate the side armor of the M1 begining at about 2000 meters but the accuracy is so poor that it doesn't have much chance of hitting anything at mid to long range unless it and its target are stationary.

The result of all this is that Task Force Peterjohn is a turkey shoot for the Blue player. That is why the victory conditions are so low for the Red player. All the red player has to do to win this scenario is to have one unit marker in the town at the bottom left of the map at the end of 60 minutes.

Focus on the Red mission rather than on the crappy Red tanks. smile.gif

[ November 16, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: MajorH ]