the new Hetzer at MadMatt

MadMatt posted a new Hetzer texture that looks great. However I did something a little different just a bit ago. I altered 3212.BMP which is the barrel, I added kill rings. They look great and greatly dress up the vehicle.

I did want to make a change to the sideskirts on the Hetzer but couldn't find the BMP file for that. Oh well.

Now if only they would allow different textures for the same vehicle type. I would even be willing to take a frame rate hit for that.

MikeT

Guest KwazyDog

Hi Mike.

This is something we *may* explore with CM2, depending on how things progress. The problem with VRAM is that you wont necessarily just get a speed decrease, but more importantly if you run out CM will have to downgrade the quality of textures in other areas.

For instance you may have 3 different textures for 3 Panthers on screen at once, but if those textures have pushed the limit of your video card those Panther may look much lower res as their textures would be reduced to compensate. Its a simple example, but I think you get my drift smile.gif

Dan

Dan, thanks for the reply. OK it makes more sense now. However I wouldn't mind the option for myself and take the chance. If it means smaller battles so be it. It it means some lose of rez so be it. However I wouldn't mind the option so each gamer can chose for themselves how detailed they want their games. So keep the idea in mind not only for vehicles but also for buildings. (I have the idea of try to "damage" some buildings with partially removed roofs, rafters showing, and such.)

Dan, I would also like to propose the idea of allowing us gamers to link maps together. There is a website with CM versions of SL and ASL maps. However there is no way to link maps to create larger battle areas. It would be great to open up those SL scenarios for gamers since there is a great body of work out there. The code would require the abilty to twist/turn maps around to link them in any way. Such a code would also allow linking even existing CM maps into larger and larger battle areas. Again the video memory might have problems but at least let the gamers to select how small or large their battle area is.

Thanks

MikeT

Dan, I almost forgot. Is there anyway to get a list of what BMP means what texture. This would greatly ease BMP changes since I wouldn't have to search each and every BMP out there to find the right texture. After the Hetzer change I would like to know what a Sherman looks like with sandbags.

MikeT

Perhaps the ability to display multiple texture sets for an individual tank type can be toggled on and off, so those with the ram can do it while the game is still playable for those without?

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."