IG Indirect fire not sticking very well ...BTS

Hi Guys

I dont know if this is meant to be or not but I have been using the infantry guns and howitzers and I am finding they will rarely hold an Indirect fire order ((trying to kill a non-visible (to the sepcific gun) or partially visible target. I didnt submit a bug reprot because I wasnt sure it wsa a bug as I know this has been adjusted for tanks.. But for infantry guns I cant get them to cooperate and it is costly :P

can I get some input from you guys so I know if this is what you were striving for ...

also the target they are giving up the orders for is to me non-threatening compared to what I am trying to destroy... Alot of times it wont shoot 1 round before overriding my orders

Thx

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

[This message has been edited by SS_PanzerLeader (edited 12-21-2000).]

Just to correct you; strictly, what you're discussing is area fire, not indirect fire. (Indirect fire for IGs has been discussed to death...)

I haven't encountered your problem. Probably because I'm reluctant to use area fire in the first place.

- Target a house and it will be blown to pieces unless a real threat enters.

- Targeting a couple of trees can be seen as recon by fire. If an enemy emerges there it will be targeted directly. If there are visible troops somewhere else they will be plastered instead of the trees.

Not much of a problem to me...

Cheers

Olle

Guest Madmatt

I am not sure I have seen what you are reporting. I built a small test with a mechanized Allied attack on a town defended by several IG's. I gave them all Area Fire Orders along the expected axis of advance (and some choice buildings that were blocking my LOS) and they happily engaged. They only switched to direct fire when a juicy target appeared or they were under direct fire (threat).

What are you seeing that is troublesome? Are your howitzers and IG's not holding the Area Fire orders at all? Remember, you CAN'T Indirect Fire with these assets while they are ON-BOARD. if they are on the map, they are Direct Fire/Area Fire only.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-21-2000).]

Yeah, I've also seen this.

Basically you tell the heavy gun to start blasting at a patch

of woods you KNOW is filled with the enemy.

The reason you don't target an individual unit is, that when the

unit breaks after the first shot, the gun searches another

victim, but doesn't understand how fruitful it is to bang at the woods.

Anyway, soon enough the gun crew spots a unit in the open a jillion

miles away and goes: "HAHAA! A better target!" biggrin.gif

It's nowhere near as bad as when the gold demo came out, but it's

still a bother sometimes. Probably not much that can be done

until the TacAI learns to spot concentrations of units instead

of just units.

[This message has been edited by Jarmo (edited 12-21-2000).]

Yah I didnt mean indirect fire but it is more or less the same thing.. I can tseet he target..But any rate these were onboard with area fire. I would target and area/horuse that is occupied but I cant quite get LOS. The targeting will remove it self in favor of pretty much any otehr target that presents itself most of the time, and at times it will jsut quite shooting altogether. This has beeen a problem for me with all forms of onboard direct fire artillery guns.. It is not a 100% but if you play with them alot you will see what I mean.

Thx for responding so fast Matt smile.gif

------------------

Can't see what the problem is, they worked fine when you played me. They sure made hell for my boys, couldn't move anything without 75 or 150mm fire raining down. Them and then that lucky Hetzer.

Damn you, you killed my boys.

I'll still get you.

------------------

PanzerLeid

Ob's stürmt oder schneit, ob die Sonne uns lacht,

Der Tag glühend heiss Oder finster die Nacht.

Bestaubt sind die Gesichter, Doch froh ist unser Sinn,

Ja unser Sinn;

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.

von Schalburg

Guest Madmatt

Okay, I read what your saying, although I am not sure any tweaks were made to this I ran a quick test. I had a few 75 IG's setup in a town and sent a platoon of infantry across their line of site. I had the IG's area firing a nearby treeline. Even though the guns COULD see the infantry they held onto their Area Fire orders for the whole turn.

Maybe I was lucky or more likely there is much more going on with targeting than we can see, but in this test I was at least able to accomplish what you have tried.

If I can get some free time I will setup more elaborate tests.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-21-2000).]

Hmmn I posted to this earlier dont know what happened.. At any rate tahnks for looking into this smile.gif

I was tr4ying to be general about the guns due to my scheming ways biggrin.gif At any rate take alook at the howitzers as well as the 150 -- it sems to take place in a target rich enviiorment alot... Also I noticed that on a direct fire if the target is hit it will quit shooting at it regardless of whetehr it is destroyed

thx again...

------------------