To Keith "Disaster" Loh (OT)

Guest Pillar

Guest Pillar

Off Topic Thread

-------------------------

Keith, I'm thinking about getting into web page design. Can you recommend the best software out there for web design and graphics editing?

I'd be interested in any advice you have for reading etc. that may help me get started.

I know computer terminology fairly well and am familiar with the major players in the industry.

Thanks.

Others probably have their favourites but I do most of my quick design in Dreamweaver. It's up to version 3 now but I make do with 2. That's for web layout design.

For graphics I use a combination of Photoshop (newest version is 5.5) and Fireworks for optimizing.

As for reading, I never really found any single book useful. Just puttering around in Dreamweaver was good enough and also looking at other pages' code. The trouble with those books is that they're out of date by the time they come out. Go to the library and you'll find a bundle. Work through the examples.

I found 'how to' web pages more useful. There are many dozens on the web, all giving good up to date advice. Go to Yahoo and you'll find hundreds.