Quirky AI targetting and execution

The AI for armor appears to have a quasi-weird threat indicator. I've been having a go at Operation: Villers-Bocage. The best way I can explain the AI's behavior is to show pictures.

Image 1: My armor is advancing on Allied Armor. Yet pay attention to the turret position.

Tig2.jpg

Now take a look at what this Tiger thinks it should be shooting at:

Tig.jpg

The Tiger is advancing on an Allied Armor location. Even though the Allies have dropped smoke to screen their retreat, my Tiger thinks it ought to swivel its turret 180% to take pop shots at a M5?, which is nearly 2k distance. Whereas, a KNOWN Sherman-II Firefly (plus other British Armor) is mearly 270 meters dead ahead. Nevertheless, the Tiger fast move plot is still visible from the previous turn.

My armors' turrets play yo-yo while I'm advancing two directions along the same road. A Tiger by Viller-Bocage might get LOS to a British Armor 2.5KM's away. Predictably, my Tiger will attempt to rotate its turret to take a pop shot at some obscure tank even though I know there is enemy armor within 250m behind an obstacle.

The AI needs a HIGHENED threat indicator for nearby enemy locations, which are clearly visible by a Nationality Flag.

I've had a similar experience. In a game of CE against the AI, I ordered one of my

Shermans to reduce a light building to rubble. I do so enjoy watching those timbers flying skyward. However, my Sherman continued to fire its main gun at the building after it was destroyed.. It completely ignored the Stug sitting smack in front of it a few metres away.. I guess you can imagine the outcome.. boom, no more Sherman.

Haven't been playing CM long enough to assess this properly but it struck me as odd. Comments or clarification welcome. Thanks, Mick.

Next time, could you, please, put spoiler in the header!?

How long do you expect a few tanks to last, sittin' out there in the open? So you have allied units in front and behind you?

But about the AI targeting, a patch exists for stickiness, a search would tell you this. But I don't think the problem is heightened threat stickiness, but rather, the fact you have a tremendous number of enemy, which are at times out/in los. Now, also while your reloading, if the AI finds a greater threat, it will shift to the new target, yo-yo effect.

Not much of a spoiler since my screen shots are done at the beginning of turn 2. The Axis setup is immovable. Plus this is Viller-Bocage... Quite renown.

The turret travsering happens quite a bit. It's very unwise to charge a known enemy location by rotating your turret 180% off of front centerline!

My problem with the AI is that it's assuming a very Distant threat outweighs a closer REAL threat. No Tank Commander is going to do what is happening in this particular scenario, especially SS-Hauptsturmführer Michael Wittman. It'd be nice to have an option: Ignore all targets > 100m, >200m, etc... I'm not looking to micro-manage my platoons/units, but during this scenario (I played on) my Tigers traverse 180%, lose sighting, traverse another 180%, lose sighting again, then the turns comes to a close because Tigers do not enjoy a fast traversal rate. The AI is not cooperative and this scenario is really showing the limitations when units flitter along the borders of the 'map'.

Realistically, my Commanders would not play yo-yo with their turrets. But, it's happening a lot otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to post my comments.

Guest Big Time Software

Apoc, are you using the v1.01 patch? If not, you should download it because it helps fix this problem.

Charles

This forum is to "Discuss CM in general ways not covered by the other CM Forums. Please be careful to not post scenario specific information here"

The Scenario Talk forum might have been a better place for this discussion. Have pity on the multitudes across the planet who do not yet have the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

This forum is to "Discuss CM in general ways not covered by the other CM Forums. Please be careful to not post scenario specific information here"

The Scenario Talk forum might have been a better place for this discussion. Have pity on the multitudes across the planet who do not yet have the game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely GODDAMN right!

(Quote form What famous war Movie?)

Pity us...

we don't have the game (other than Hong Kong, it is not anywhere outside the U.S yet) and those of us who don't have the game are reading these forums like maniacs and when I see a thread like... "Quirky AI targetting and execution" I DON'T expect to see a picture of an operation that I'm hoping to play Double BLIND! with someone else (who by the way, doesn't want to see that picture either)

There is a specific forum entitled "Scenario Talk " that those of us who don't have the gem are specifically avoiding so we don't see things like this.

to be honest most of us are grumpy because we want the game and have not got it yet and can't do ANYTHING about it, so if this post seems a little unbalanced to you, perhaps you can understand, MOST of us don't have the game yet and are looking forward to seeing these kinds of images for ourselves first in double blind games against PBEM opponents.

EVEN just saying Spoiler Quirky AI targetting and execution in the title would have been enough to warn me away from you thread.

thanks

-tom w

P.S. Hint on the war movie quote about..

followed immediatly by "never get out of the boat" (I think? )

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>