The Volkssturm

Nun Volk steh' auf...

pzfvs.jpg

I just love those Volkssturm units. Old grampas reminding me of Statler and Waldorf, equipped with automatic weapons. Set them to veteran or elite and watch them beat up american paratroopers like no tomorrow (literally, for the late May45-Volkssturm) smile.gif

but - one thing is strange about them. Historically, the build-up of the Volkssturm had been legalized by Hitler on September 25th 1944; it was officially declared on October 18th 1944; and until November 30th 1944, OOBs and questions for the widespread arming and organization of this new formation were decided upon.

In CM, the Volkssturm units are available already in June 1944. As much as I have grown fond of my crack Volkssturm shock troops, this seems quite an anachronism to me. Are the early Volkssturm units supposed to represent some other made-up ad-hoc unit, in other words, are they supposed to be sort of a generic representation of hodgepodge units, and if so, of which?

------

If Dolphins are so smart, how come they live in igloos?

Another thing CM doesn't note is that in several towns where Volksturm units were garrisoned, townspeople confiscated the soldiers' Panzerschreck bombs and grenades for fear that they'd blow up the town by mistake (from Ian Kershaw, The Hitler Myth , Oxford University Press, 1989).

I for one think that this is an egregious oversight on BTS' part and should be remedied immediately! wink.gif

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

[This message has been edited by Chupacabra (edited 08-09-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

If Dolphins are so smart, how come they live in igloos?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought they lived in Miami. confused.gif

wink.gif

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blackhorse:

CM has Volksgrenadiers NOT Volkssturm.

There's a huge difference, and I think you are confusing the two.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, I'm at work so I can't check the game, but I'm pretty sure CM DOES have Volkssturm units in addition to Volksgrenadiers... unless my memory's shot from too much coffee. Which is possible.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BorderBill:

Blackhorse,Volkssturm are in the game. You have to select them as a category from the top menu -just like selecting Waffen SS, Fallschirmjager, or gerbiljagers.:}<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well paint me green and color me purple.

I stand corrected. Forget everything I said there M. Hofbauer.