Question about piracy

Guest Pham

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by G2A:

...I wasn't really criticizing your question, but Charles' response, which was asking for active policing by customers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charles said: "...if you do spot illegal pirate copies out on the net, please inform us by email..."

Where is the call for active police work here? Sounds to me like you want to argue about something else.

PS: I have reconsidered and I will NOT tell you about your bike. tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by G2A:

Pham, I wasn't really criticizing your question, but Charles' response, which was asking for active policing by customers. And if you don't want to police the internet, why tell BTS anything.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

??? confused.gif Charles was asking for active policing? confused.gif He was simply saying the same thing I would: Hey, if you see somebody stealing my stuff, let me know.

Does this mean I now have to spend countless hours surfing the net looking for pirated copies? No. Does this mean I now have to spy on homes hoping to find a pirated copy? No. If I see a place that has pirated copies, I will inform BTS. I think that is all Charles was asking. And it is something I would have done without Charles asking. If you don't want to tell them, don't.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Many people on this forum seem very confused about the Company-Customer relationship. "Steve and Charles" aren't doing this as a personal favor to any "community". They're doing it because they want your money. Nothing wrong with that, but all the ass-kissing and "loyalty" is just so pathetic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve & Charles are doing this to make a living. Have I ever doubted this? No. Do I mind paying them? No. Have they made a great game? IMO, yes. While I don't like ass-kissing, I see nothing wrong with loyalty to a product/company.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Bye.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bye. smile.gif

------------------

Dan

G2A:

If a company becoming a "vigilante" and suing someone is an act of facism, then the United States has been a fascist nation ever since the patent office has been around.

By someone reporting a theft to a products owner does not have much of a relationship to a totalitarian state. The company would be following the laws that were established by a government of elected representatives, and votes by these government representatives are influenced by the people of the representative's respective constituency. When it is established that a company can sue an individual who is in breach of contract (that copyright thing that everyone just clicks OK on, without ever actually understanding what it is), it was done in protection of the rights of corporations as well as individuals.

The references to East Germany (I would think that Nazi Germany would be a more appropriate representative than East Germany) and their "spying," were done by an oppressive government, asking people to be "spy," to benefit the government. Whether it be notifying the goverment of dissention, or reporting the Jewish people, none of it was done by a government that attempted to represent the people (such as a democracy, or a republic). In addition, all of the "spying" was done FOR the government, not a privately owned company.

In fact, by someone reporting a warez site to a developer like BTS cannot be accurately referred to as a fascist action in the respects of Nazi Germany or Stalin's Soviet Union. BTS is a developer, and will never have the power that a the U.S. goverment will. If it WERE, the situation would more likely favour becoming feudal than fascist, or perhaps even go towards anarchist state, but not a fascist state.

Guest Captain Foobar

MUST.........RESIST......URGE......TO POST..... mad.gif

(come on guys, lets talk about something more entertaining. This argumentative crap is geting boring, even for a dumbass like me.)