Too Forward Observer

Some may say I'm waking the dead here, but the untimely demise of my FO prompted a search for the answer to the eternal question: "What happens when your FO takes a dirt nap after calling in a fire mission?" The question has been asked (by Leland Tankersley) but never, as far as I could tell, answered.

In this particular instance, after the FO started pushing up the daisies, the smoke screen that he called in came down (and down and down). The final effect reminded me of my college dorm room.

Clearly, there was nothing I could do after he snuffed it, but should there be? I offer as my evidence, at least for the American side, the following text from Doubler's "Closing with the Enemy" (pp.19-20):

Infantry units also learned two key lessons that maximized artillery employment. Artillery FOs with infantry battalions often became casualties or were not in a good location to call for fires. To solve these problems, infantry regiments in Sicily and italy began to train all personnel, down to and including platoon sergeants in FO procedures.

I'm pretty sure this is not modeled in CM, certainly not in the beta. Any thoughts?

Ethan (slipping into blast suit)

------------------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

IIRC, IN the gold release HQ units will be able to spot for artillery and mortars.. I'm just not sure on how much control they will have.

Lorak

------------------

-------------------------

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this is mine. It is my life. Without my rifle I am useless. Without me, my rifle is useless...

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub