Flags?????

Could someone please explain to me (a CM rookie) the true purpose and worth of the flags which mark certain buildings, etc. in CM with a ? until occupied by troops? When playing another person (which I do via email), how important is it to hold these areas? Thanks for your expertise!

------------------

"I was like in a dream, and completely taken up with war." Myles W. Keogh

Large flags are supposedly worth 300 pts. Small flags are supposedly worth 100 pts.

However the point total in the game is only 100 points in the AAR at battle's end.

Flags marked with a "?" are neutral flags or ones you have not identified the ownership of yet (a FOW setting).

Flags turn ownership when there is one's forces in the area with the absence of the enemy's force. However, if the flag area is still "in contest" the flag will appear as a "?". It stays that way until the enemy has been driven away from the area.

And flag control is subject to fog of war. I've gotten plenty of emails from people to the effect of "Ha--I'm kicking your butt. I own three of the four flags, and am contesting the other" and when I open the file, it shows that I own three of the four flags and am contesting the other.

------------------

Slayer of the Original Cesspool Thread.

That's why I don't give much credibility to the Flags as a Vicotory indicators.

As I've stated before, KILL the enemy first and then ALL the flags will be yours.

I use flags as follows:

I look at them and say, "OK, that's where I need to head for...or...this is the area I need to defend. But the most important thing is to destroy the enemy so he is incapable of taking or holding the flags."

In other words, don't just take a flag and stop...go get the son of a bitch! Kinda what Gen. McClellan should have done after the Battle of Antietam. Yes, he won the battlefield, but he let the Confederates escape therefore prolonging the war.

See the third paragraph in my signature below to see what Gen. Patton thought about holding onto a position.

------------------

"We're not gonna just shoot the bastards`, we're gonna cut out their living guts, and use them to grease the treads of our tanks."

"We're going to murder those lousey hun bastards by the buschel."

"The Nazis are the enemy, wade into them,

spill their blood, shoot them in the belly."

"We are not holding our position, let the hun do that."

"We are advancing constantly, we are not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy."

"We're gonna hold onto him by the nose, and we're gonna kick him in the ass."

"We're gonna kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose."--George S. Patton

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 12-10-2000).]

Another thing to consider is how likely was the Confederacy to give in EVEN IF they lost a major portion of their army? The general officers would most likely have lived, and the South has a much higher will to fight the war, as opposed to the North.

Might have shortened things a LITTLE, but the end result would have STILL required huge Union armies killing every Rebel they could find in order to FORCE a surrender.

Back on topic: The flags are quite useful on larger maps. They can mark important territory and strategic objectives. A huge hill, for instance, would be an INVALUABLE objective. Even if you could ONLY grab that one hill for the time being, that hill would allow you to dominate the landscape, leading to the capture of OTHER objectives in short order.

------------------

Honor, Duty, Courage.

Valhalla awaits you, honorable warrior...