A couple of ?: exiting and mines.

Guest Scott Clinton

Guest Scott Clinton

I have a couple of questions:

1.) I had some fleeing infantry (engineers I think) run off the SIDE of the map. I thought units could only exit from the 'friendly' edge. No problem either way really, I just thought 'exiting' was restricted to the 'friendly' edges.

2.) Can engineer units SPOT mines without setting them off first? The reason I ask is I had an engineer team literally sit on top of an UN-spotted anti-personnel mine unit for 4 turns (plus the 1/2 turn when it crawled onto it without setting it off). The mine was never spotted. The engineers were in good order and were never under fire the entire game (not even in LOS of enemy). Just to clarify, I am not asking on how to clear SPOTTED mines, but how to spot mines BEFORE they 'go off' (with the exception of "daisy chain mines" that anybody can spot).

Thanks, and anyone with any insight feel free to 'set me right'.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Well Scott,

As far as exiting units off the sides of maps, IIRC, that at least one vertical side of the map IS friendly. Maybe not though. But it seems like I've seen some pictures showing that as such.

As far as engineers setting off mines (seen or un-seen) as they enter them, I'm wish-washy on this myself. I think it just depends. Seems like it's a random "die-roll" if you will.

Anyway, for example. As regarding anti-tank mines, I was playing a buddy a PBEM game and he said he had laid down some anti-tank mines in the road and I ran a Sherman 105 down through there and never set them off. However, if he did have the mines there, I never spotted them. I even ran my engineers down there before that to check for mines and they never saw any either. So I don't know.

------------------

"While stands the Collosseum, Rome shall stand.

When falls the Collosseum, Rome shall fall.

And when Rome falls -- the World."

**Byron**

Guest Scott Clinton

> As far as engineers setting off mines

> (seen or un-seen) as they enter them...

Just to clarify...I don't have a problem with engineers setting off unseen mines when they enter a minefield.

My question is simply: IS IT POSSIBLE for ANYONE to detect mines BEFORE they explode?

Like in the example I gave above, the engineer has now been literally sitting in the middle of an anti-personnel mine field for five minutes...and they still don't know it (good morale, no losses, no enemy fire or enemy in LOS).

Mind you, I really just don't know if it SHOULD be possible in VOT. If not, I am not bitching, 'cuz I don't think these guys have mine sweeping equipment (right?). So, to detect one BEFORE it went off would be a matter of VERY good eyes and some luck (right?).

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

My question is simply: IS IT POSSIBLE for ANYONE to detect mines BEFORE they explode?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. I played VoT as the US and moved my engineers down into the valley along the road and had them advance slowly. An A-T mine sign sprang up so I moved them up to it. After the sign was gone (and presumably the mines cleared) I sent them further along the road where a couple more signs appeared.

The only way I've found A-P minefields is to step on them, but I haven't really been looking for them, either.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

OK Scott, I understand your question now. Really I don't know. Really haven't tested it like that.

One question though. How do you know that they were in a minefield if you didn't see a sign??

------------------

"While stands the Collosseum, Rome shall stand.

When falls the Collosseum, Rome shall fall.

And when Rome falls -- the World."

**Byron**

Guest Scott Clinton

Leland:

I think you are referring to the "daisy chain" mines. Those are just a bunch of AT mines strung together on a cable and dragged across the road...on the surface of the road. Any unit can see them because they are not buried and are in plain sight. They are also much easier to breach.

Maximus:

Simple, when the engineers first entered the 'tile' I had them crawling because I suspected there might be mines present...and sure enough they set one off. So I said: "What the Hell" and reloaded the turn tried it again and again to see if it was possible to see the mines BEFORE they went off. After about 3-4 tries they ended up IN the center of the minefield...without setting one off. I then decided to just let them sit there and see how long it would take before they figured out their 'predicament'... Well, it that was 4-5 turns ago and they are still clueless. I think I will just leave them there all game (fair trade for the save-and-reload I did IMO). I'll let you know how it turns out but I am beginning to think it is not possible or damn near...makes sense if they don't have 'sweepers' IMO.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 05-30-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

Leland:

I think you are referring to the "daisy chain" mines. Those are just a bunch of AT mines strung together on a cable and dragged across the road...on the surface of the road. Any unit can see them because they are not buried and are in plain sight. They are also much easier to breach.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, or, not entirely. I did move the engineers up to clear the daisy-chain, but when they got there (while they were clearing them) more minefield signs popped up farther down the road. When I moved to clear them, a fourth sign appeared. IIRC it took 5 or 6 turns to clear them all.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

I might not recall 100% correct, but I do think that there is a chance to spot regular mines as well (for all units, not only enginieers). However, if your units are being shot at, running around or otherwise busy, the chance is close to nil.

Guest Scott Clinton

Update: After another four turns last night, the engineer team has now spent around 9 minutes on top of the AP mines. They still don't see them.

They have never been under any kind of fire and have not moved since they entered the 'tile'.

Perhaps I am just unlucky or perhaps "Teams" need to be double checked...

------------------

Guest Big Time Software

Right now units can spot 'daisy chain' mines before any of them explodes, but buried mines cannot be pre-spotted like this.

It seemed to us that in the heat of battle, even if a unit isn't currently being fired upon, it would be pretty difficult to locate subsurface mines when you don't know where to look.

Charles

Guest Scott Clinton

As I expected...and I have no problem with this at all.

Guess we will have to wait until CM3 and N. Africa for 'Mine Sweepers'. wink.gif

Thanks for the clarification Charles.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Right now units can spot 'daisy chain' mines before any of them explodes, but buried mines cannot be pre-spotted like this.

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm .... maybe what I saw was the Germans using several daisy-chains (I had plussed-up their force %). I'm sure none of the mines had exploded.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley