Scenario size question for BTS or anyone else who might know

As a beta tester, I can say that the scenarios I have play tested so far are a good mix of small (<1 company play in 20 mins) to large (battalion size, take a week off to do it justice! =).

The common feature is the skill of the designers, the enthusiasm of the testers, and the high quality of the final results. I really think that you will be very happy with the variety of size, content and subject.

Chris

DISCLAIMER: The above post is my personal opinion. I have not seen the final package, and my comments are in no way the official position of BTS. Which, as you know, probably means the final outcome will be much better... smile.gif

------------------

Chris Pick

chris@chris-and-donna.com

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe, me thinks Chris accidentally deleted part of his post smile.gif

I'd say that Chance Encounter sized battles are a little smaller than the average one I have looked at so far. Generally I see battles with about 2 companies of infantry supported by a 6-10 AFVs for the attacker, about 30% less for the defender. Map sizes are all over the place too.

Hmmm... not a very scientific answer smile.gif I will say that there seems to be a very good mix of small, medium, and large sized battles to play. All three demo scenarios are roughly medium sized. I also know of at least one MONSTER scenario that probably will not be playable on low end machines, or at least will be noticably slower. I think there were over 40 AFVs on the field at one time, which is far more than CM was designed to handle. The great thing is that CM handles it VERY well if you have at least a mid level computer crunching all the numbers wink.gif

Steve

I have a pentium350II with a banshee and voodoo2 (I know it's strange, the pc came with two graphics cards). First of all will my computer be able to handle this mamoth scenario that you speak of? Secondly which card will run the game to the highest possible standard that I can achieve- the banshee or voodoo 2?

[This message has been edited by Owen (edited 03-20-2000).]

Owen,

Your system beats mine *grumble* and I can play that scenario although it is slow (the damn scenario has about a regiment of infantry and a Bn of tanks on-map within about 5 turns if its the one I think it is. MASSIVE !!!)

LOL. I suppose if you had a 1 Gig machine and were willing to spend hours plotting moves that massive regimental battles ( 1 regiment plus attachments vs another regiment) would be possible.

Personally I find myself preferring company-sized (+ a few support weapons) sized battles myself

I'm having a great DYO battle with 2 Panthers, 2 Pz IVHs and a company of SS Armoured Panzergrenadiers rolling into the attack vs a weakened US Bn wink.gif. I'm attacking while mounted and rolling right into the US position before dismounting. Tense stuff/

BTW the computer picked my forces for this battle wink.gif ( IN DYO battles you have a choice between picking the force yourself or letting the computer do it for you. It can be fun to let the computer pick for you since it forces you to play with some units you'd never pick yourself.)

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, the scenarios are "signed". The mamoth one in question was made by our French Connection, Joël Montagu. Who says that it is always Americans that try to make the biggest stuff possible smile.gif Sure, you'd be hard pressed to find a 22oz steak in Paris (the theoretical cost of which makes wince smile.gif), but dang it all if Joël didn't make the biggest scenario by far! Maybe we should have got some Texans designing scenarios wink.gif

Steve