Exaggerated effectiveness of smoke

In a recent game of Last Defence i noticed a problem with the smoke. One of my Hellcats actually ran into an enemy stug and the enemy tiger and yet never had LOS on either one!! The screenshots reside with Bill Carey who i hope will be posting them. Anyway, i was wondering if a tank runs into another tank, no matter how much smoke is around, shouldn't they see each other or at the very least hear the crash!!! Just a concern i thought should be addressed. smile.gif

------------------

<*ShadowWraith*>

My vote would be for a SHOCKED crew status in any vehicles that crash in the smoke. I'm doubting they would be thinking of firing in the moments after impact.

Note that friendly fire could take place if a tank just fired into that vehicle in front of it.

citizen

Aargh...

I don't have a really good screenshot of this... frown.gif Have one before though. I would think that there would be a minimum range at which smoke can block LOS - something like 10 meters. This proably won't make 1.0 (unless it is in already smile.gif ) but would be useful when the whole map is covered with smoke (stupid 81mm observers...) Anyway, the barrel of the tiger was sticking out the back of the turret of the hellcat when it fired. smile.gif Wish I had the screenshot...

- Bill

I can vouch for this happening with infantry as well in Last Defense. I played tonight and was fooling around with the smoke for the first time and I went a bit overboard. The wheat field was completely covered. I ran about 6 squads forward through the smoke towards the building.

Some of the Yanks inside the building decided to come out and go exploring for some reason and they crossed the path of one of my squads and just walked right on by with no shots exchanged.

I have also seen a Hellcat and a SPW drive down the road in opposite directions and bump into one another before continuing on their merry way - with no smoke around at all. But I figured it's just a beta-ey sort of thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I would think that there would be a minimum range at which smoke can block LOS - something like 10 meters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmh, that's about 30 feet- we've got "Tule" fog around here that'll obscure an 18-wheeler at that range. Imagine the shock of banging into something- then seeing the cross on the side. I'd be looking for the "R" on the gearshift pretty quick. eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 01-06-2000).]

My vote would be for a SHOCKED crew status in any vehicles that crash in the smoke. I'm doubting

they would be thinking of firing in the moments after impact.

Nah, I'd go for either the most veteran crew getting the nod or whichever can pay off the cops first. biggrin.gif

Guest Big Time Software

It is possible for this stuff to happen in real life, but it is VERY rare indeed. Tanks are practically blind when buttoned up. When a tank is on the move, and concentrating on something, it is easy for them to make mistakes. In general we don't have special code to deal with the various possible mistakes they could make, so there are some realism gaps here and there. One is that you can't accidentally run over your own troops (happened at least once that I read about, during a night attack) the other is colliding with an enemy vehicle. We might add the latter some time in the future, but since it is so very rare it isn't high up on our list.

Steve

Actually, I just thought about this 2 seconds after I wrote my little report about squads colliding in the smoke and vehicles bumping into one another on the road last night:

I wasn't using realistic using sizings so the vehicles and squads were much bigger on screen than they really are in the 3-D world, so even though it looked like the enemies were touching or right next to one another there was probably quite a bit of distance between them in the model.

p.

Peterk: Very discerning. That would explain it!

BTS: "Company Commander" also describes a friendly run-over. A sergeant is wounded, and while being assisted off the battlefield they pass behind a Sherman, just as flak guns open up on it. The driver throws the M4 in panic reverse and kills the poor sarge.