OPFOR Thermals again

pichocki

Hi, Major!

One more question - or rather a suggestion - on OPFOR Tanks' Thermals:

I just confirmed that basically every OPFOR tank *has* one. Couldn't it be a solution to change the database so that only those tanks have a thermal that are expected to really have one in reality and then - in case the player checks the option "All OPFOR tanks have thermals" - add it to them on-the-fly whereas to do nothing, if the player does *not* check the option?

ps/BTW: Do you prefer to have questions like this on the mailing list rather than on the forum?

I mean *thermal sights*. When I just opened the TacOps "unit database" and checked the tanks from "OP Tank M84" over "OP Tank T55" up to "OP Tank, Type 98", it always says "Thermal sight". This isn't so in real life is it? So I suggest that you "simply" take out this feature from those which don't have it in reality and then "re-grant" it to them in case the option is checked.

As you said this feature ("all OPFOR tanks have thermals") is only meant to balance gameplay, I don't think there is a need to have a "NO OPFOR tank has a thermal" option for simulation/education use.

This approach: normally only those in the (altered) database have thermals, and with the option "on" all have - if possible in the game engine - should solve the "problem" mentioned by someone else some weeks ago.

Same, of course, would be *possible* for ATGM thermals and improved ATGM heads then, too.

And to your question: We don't have anything like infrared (thus between normal and thermal) in the game, do we?

>When I just opened the TacOps "unit

>database" and checked the tanks from "OP

>Tank M84" over "OP Tank T55" up to "OP

>Tank, Type 98", it always says "Thermal sight".

If the preference item "all OPFOR Tanks have thermal sights" is selected then the data base window is going to show all OPFOR tanks as having thermal sights.

I don't understand why this question keeps coming up. If you do not want the OPFOR tanks to have thermal sights then unselect that preference item. If you want them to have thermal sights then slelect the preference item.

[ April 05, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: MajorH ]

I think what he's tryin to say, is if he has the OPFOR tanks thermal sight option checked, he wants ONLY those type tanks that actually do have them in real life to be equipped with them. Or possibly the opposite, if thermal sights is "off" the game only removes them from older tanks that do not actually have them in real life.

Maybe. :confused:

i think the current implementation is just fine. the 'out of box' settings are evenly matched, so from a game perspective, it can be a little more fair and fun for either side.

however, you can easily change it to reflect any range of real-life scenarios. want themrals on everything? got it. want thermals just on tanks, or just with ATGMs, etc? got it too. the way it is now works well for everyone, IMO.

> If the preference [...]is selected

> then the data base window is going to show

> all OPFOR tanks as having thermal sights.

Oh, I got that now: The databse window automatically reflects the preferences setting.

> I don't understand why this question

> keeps coming up.

As far as I understood you, the option to equip *all* OPFOR tanks with thermals has been introduced to make up an even game. Roger that.

For a "real life simulation", however, I would like to be able to distinguish between the various kinds of vehicles - just as I have to for the BLUE side. So my suggestion is to alter the effect of the mentioned option to the following:

- Remove thermals from the database's older OPFOR tanks, say up to T-72 or so (I am not exactly sure) for "normal" use.

- Rename the option to something like "Add thermals to all OPFOR tanks"

- If the user checks this, add a thermal sight to those tanks mentioned above.

With this we would have two settings:

1. Simulation mode: Only those tanks having a high probability to have a thermal, have one.

2. Game mode: All tanks have a thermal.

(I don't think there is any need for the current setting that *no* OPFOR tanks has a thermal, is there?

> As far as I understood you, the option to equip *all* OPFOR

> tanks with thermals has been introduced to make up an even

> game.

That is one reason. The more important reason is to allow the user to easily add or withold thermal sights from OPFOR tanks and ATGMs according to that user's opinion or needs.

>1. Simulation mode: Only those tanks having

>a high probability to have a thermal, have one.

Whch OPFOR tanks fielded by what countries do you know to have thermal sights?

[ April 07, 2003, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: MajorH ]

Originally posted by MajorH:

Whch OPFOR tanks fielded by what countries do you know to have thermal sights?

I will look through the "OPFOR World Equipment Guide.pdf" in the TacOps library on the CD. My first glance through there showed thermals available for country variations of the T62M, T64B ... through the T90. Of course, the Russian Agava2 thermal or the French Sagem thermal are purported to only have a range of about 2,600 meters.

I will see if I can find anything definitave about specific countries. I will attempt to have some basics by this Friday.