Minor upgrade, Major JOY!

Dug into the guts of the hoary old 300 to see what was there today.

I'm planning on a new rig anyway, perhaps around late May, for reasons which may be obvious. This old pinto gets turned over to mama-san then, so I thought I'd tweak it up.

Brought it up to 128 Mb RAM from 64, and replaced the whopping 4 meg Trident with a Voodoo 3...

WHOOOEEE! I didn't know what I was missing! The difference is startling. Smooth animation, real explosions (used to see just polyblobs appear), great textures, flowing tracers. This is great- like getting Gold a few weeks early.

I hope this inspires some other tight-fisted procrastinators to some minor capital outlay. I always thought the Beta Demo was too good to be true, but I didn't know the half of it. The interesting thing is that, having installed one at a time, the video card is what really made the difference. The RAM seems to have sped up turn resolution, but the Voodoo made the screen come alive! Do it!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif (smileys acting under duress)

Guest KwazyDog

Actually, here is something to burst the crap out of the GeForce's bubble wink.gif

In collaboration with 3dfx Interactive™, ucfx™ is proud to present the fastest PC 3d accelerator on the face of the earth. Using the advanced new 3dfx™ VSA-100 chip in a massively parallel arrangement, we are able to achieve an astounding fillrate of 10 gigapixels per second. Can you say Quake 3 at 1600x1200 at 350fps? And with the addition of our new proprietary 16x FSAA, your games will look so smooth you will have a hard time not wanting to rub your ass cheeks on the monitor.

Pretty impressive wink.gif

For more check out

http://scout.phpwebhosting.com/~ethernet/ucfx/

Hehe, piccies and all smile.gif

I really think anyone out there whom is running anything less than a voodoo 2 should really consider a nice cost effective upgrade live Mk IV made, it will be well worth it. The higher end cards are nice, I have one myself, but really, I dont think they are worth the money. Wait 6 months and let them drop in price smile.gif

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The new ucfx™ Woohoo5™ 34500 AGP.

So big, it's kind of ridiculous.™<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

v534500.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Twenty three processors. 736MB of RAM. 5 square feet of six-layer printed circuit board.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yeah, but where ya gonna put it?

And this ain't the half of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Note: Will not fit in most PC cases without slight case modifications. Card comes with a Honda diesel generator for power. Not FCC approved. Keep away from water, small children, air traffic control towers, munitions dumps, and pacemakers. Extended use may cause cancer. Shipped via truck freight. Estimated retail price $5,743.56<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(I just did a little calculation: each little black thing next to each 3Dfx processor is a 16MB memory chip. You talk about memory!)

Talk about OVERKILL!

Major REALITY CHECK!

------------------

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side.

Fear leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

Hate leads to suffering."

--Jedi Master Yoda

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 04-27-2000).]

Hehehe quite a card! Eventually the cards will be that powerful!

Seriously though I really recommend anyone with less then a V2 to upgrade. I added a V2 to my computer and it's pretty much the only thing allowing me to play modern games.

The three best upgrades I've had are:

1. ADSL

2. Voodoo 2

3. 96 MB of RAM

Next I'm probably gonna add a G3 card into my computer and I might add a better video card when I do that.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

ADSL is great! It uses your regular phone lines but is always on and you can still make and receive phone calls! The data is transmitted at a different freq. I have it here in New Orleans and I get speeds of 1.3 mbps (1300K)! Of course it doesn't help for PBEM.

fionn, can you get that here?

Ill have money soon and it looks like a good investment, better that 56k modem anyway,

you dont get charged extra on line rental do you?

------------------

This is my rifle,

this is my gun.

This ones for killing, this ones a tasty alternative to turkey at christmas.....