I did the Chance encounter scenario...and

an enemy sherman was moving right next to the

woods but not facing the woods (its turret

was facing forward), in addition it was

buttoned and under fire. I had an 81mm

spotter at the edge of the wood which had

been hiding for like 5 turns previously and

wasn't calling in any strikes. After passing

the spotter team, the Sherman spotted it and well, 75 mm HE'd it till it broke and ran.

Ok, so the 81mm spotter team was Green. Would this be realistic?

hmm, maybe another of your squads spotted the FO and radioed it?

But I agree, it seems as if spotting infantry is to easy, not only for tanks.

I remember my basic army training; spotting a well camouflaged infantry squad was not this easy. Hell, I nearly stumbled upon them, and I had no idea that 6 barrels were aimed at me!

IMHO, the spotting chances should be tweaked down for non-moving (and even slow moving) infantry.

Fred

Guest Mirage2k

I dunno...if I was moving through the woods, carrying a bunch of heavy equipment, with 40 of my buddies, I think I'd have trouble moving silently, too.

-Andrew

Guest Scott Clinton

More than likely another unit spotted them.

In CM if you are spotted by one enemy unit, you are spotted by them all. That is the way it is.

If anyone can think of an system that would work where spotting is limited to only the unit actually DOING the spotting AND where such a system would be managable by the player and doable (in code form), I am sure BTS (and Atomic...and SSI) would be all ears. wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest grunto

-

I remember my basic army training; spotting a well camouflaged infantry squad was not this easy. Hell, I nearly stumbled upon them, and I had no idea that 6 barrels were aimed at me!

IMHO, the spotting chances should be tweaked down for non-moving (and even slow moving) infantry.

-

how about the level of concealment vary depending on time of preparation? and experience of the troops? it isn't exactly the best german unit in this scenario. it's supposed to be a battalion but it is way understrength in terms of men, and training.

perhaps the spotter was crummy at camo because of inexperience.

maybe the sighting 'tables' need to be tweaked in the game's internals.

bts seems to carefully consider well-worded and well-founded criticism. i truly believe they are trying to create the most realistic simulation possible with the resources they have at hand.

do both bts dudes program or is one biz and the other dev? either way for my buck it's one heck of a 'screamin' eagle' effort.

way to go guys.

andy

Guest Madmatt

Spotting by Buttoned Tanks of Hidden units IS addressed in the 1.01 patch that will be made available the day of shipping. This may be the fastest patch released in history... smile.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Spotting by Buttoned Tanks of Hidden units IS addressed in the 1.01 patch that will be made available the day of shipping. This may be the fastest patch released in history...

I think I remember reading about one game that was published in 1999 that had a patch available for download a full week before it hit the shelves. I can't remember the name of the game, though.

- Tommi

Guest MantaRay

Yes, games are starting to see patches released very quickly to make it a bit harder for the warez pirates to keep up. Doesnt matter for the single-player games, but works if the players want to play MP games.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

from my limited exp. with CM if i place a squad ar team in front of a tree, tall pine, etc. they are spotted nearly every time. but, if i take the same team or squad and place them right in the middle of the tree or behind it they are very rarely seen. coincidence, luck who knows.

Guest Germanboy

In the Bundeswehr we were taught that if you walk along the edge of a wood, make sure you walk about 5-10m inside, instead of closer to the edge. Otherwise you will be seen, shot at and generally bad things will happen to you.

------------------

Andreas

It is amazing what you can learn from a good book...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

In the Bundeswehr we were taught that if you walk along the edge of a wood, make sure you walk about 5-10m inside, instead of closer to the edge. Otherwise you will be seen, shot at and generally bad things will happen to you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well that sounds like common sense to me tongue.gif

ccj