MG Effectiveness Revisited

After reading the other thread I was curious, because from Demo play I felt the MGs were pretty deadly but couldn't recall ever observing their performance on their own. I decided to set up 3 separate tests to check for myself then thought I would post the results here. The situation was setup as follows:

ATT

|

300m

|

MG --400m-- MG

|

|

OBJ

The attacking force was 2 US platoons(44 Rifle) with random HQs though I gave them a +1 Morale bonus. The tests only lasted 2 minutes as the platoons covered the 300m and were at the objective in that time. The flanking MGs, halfway between the objective and the attackers, were MG42s with a random leader, I let the TacAI handle the targets. All troops were regular, B-broken, R-routed, TB-turned back.

Test#1-No Defenders in OBJ

US B/R/TB US Cas

1- none - 14

2- 1 sqd - 9

3- 1 sqd - 4

4- 1 sqd - 11

5- 2 sqds - 13

6- 3 sqds - 7 1 HMG jam

7- 3 sqds - 10

8- 3 sqds - 14

9- 2 sqds - 4 1 HMG jam

10- 2 sqds - 10

Test#2-1 HMG in OBJ

US B/R/TB US cas Ge Cas

1- 3 sqds - 31- 1

2- 4 sqds - 18- 2

3- 1 Plt - 27- 2

4- 4 sqds - 18- 3

5- 2 sqds - 24- 4

6- 5 sqds - 33- 1 1 HMG jam

7- 4 sqds - 25- 1 1 HMG jam

8- 4 sqds - 20- 3

9- 2 sqds - 19- 5

10- 4 sqds - 17- 4 1 HMG jam

Test#3-1 HMG/1 Rif Sqd in OBJ

US B/R/TB US Cas Ge Cas

1- 3 sqds - 42- 5 1 HMG jam

2- 1 Plt - 39- 3

3- 4 sqds - 37- 3 1 HMG jam

4- 1 Plt - 37- 1

5- 4 sqds - 49- 1 1 HMG jam

6- 5 sqds - 35- 1

7- 4 sqds - 39- 1

8- 3 sqds - 58- 1

9- 4 sqds - 36- 1

10- 2 sqds - 45- 4

Some observations: the flanking HMGs were NEVER spotted while the US troops were running, only when a squad was stationary were the MGs pinpointed, usually the US player only saw a sound contact. The defenders in the Objective were usually spotted in the last ~75m by the US. Most of the broken and routed squads, as well as casualties, happened just before or in the objective. After 2 minutes of being fired on the US platoons were usually in a poor state, ie panic and shaken, upon reaching the Objective. Several occasions the squads never even left the start line though the HQs almost always made it through. Perhaps being able to run 300m in the open and not suffer more from HMG fire isn't realistic, I don't know, but after running that gauntlet, the US platoons were in no shape to do anything for awhile. They were easy picking even for a German Rifle squad which racked up some high kills in the 3rd test. And for the curious, it took longer to type this than actually run the tests. smile.gif

Ron

Edit: can't seem to get the spaces right or the spelling, oh well frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 07-09-2000).]

Some questions:

1. Was there 400meters between the MGs?

2. Were the MGs in buildings? 2nd floor?

3. The running units failed to spot the MGs even when they were firing?

4. On average in the first test, 2/3 of the squads got to the objective? with 10 casualties average? Out of 80 US?

5. Did you just give the US a gang move order? Did you update the order for units that got pinned/broken/etc and then recovered? I dont understand turned back.

6. In the 3rd test you had 3 HMG a Squad and some leader also? At least a platoon of US made it through still? Casualties were half?

1-Yes

2-Building, ground floor.

3-Yes, from what I observed only when a US squad was stationary did the HMGs become spotted.

4-Yes, but in disorder, average 2 in a panicked state.

5-The broken/routed didn't recover in the 2 minutes. Turned back is returning to the starting line, those I left alone. They ended up spotting the HMGs and firing, but that didn't happen as near as often as following through with the movement orders. It seems the continued fire from the HMGs for 2 minutes is what did them in morale wise, then the defenders at the objective racked up the casualties.

6-Yes there was a squad, HQ and 3 HMGs in the third test. In this one the US forces that made it to the objective were really combat ineffective. I don't recall any squads were in 'good order'. The HQs almost always made it through in reasonable shape. I ended after 2 minutes, I could safely say that any US troops that made it would have been wiped out if it continued.

Ron