SMGs for tank crews?

Why are tank and halftrack crews in CM only equipped with pistols? In real life, I know some of the crewmen would have had submachineguns. The German MP 38/MP 40 was origionally developed for use by armored vehicle and tank crews, to be fired out of hatches or view ports. For the Americans, the basic tanker's weapon was the Grease Gun, or the Thompson if they could get it, but this is not simulated in CM. Is it to make vehicle crews almost totally useless when they abandon their vehicle?

In real life the search function (top right) will answer your question wink.gif

Use "crew" or "crews" as your key word.

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is it to make vehicle crews almost totally useless when they abandon their vehicle?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but more to the point it would be unrealistic for crews to bail out with their SMGs. Check out how they are stored if you have interior shots of AFVs. They are strapped in for obvious reasons. You think somone would take the time to fumble with the straps when there is a better than decent chance that doing so will mean death? I read one stat that early Sherman crews had about 5 seconds to get out of their tank if they took an engine hit. Otherwise...

SMGs were used for local defense of the vehicle in non-intense combat situations. For example, when a platoon of enemy soldiers surrenders to the vehicle, or on sentry duty, etc.

Steve

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

SMGs were used for local defense of the vehicle in non-intense combat situations.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe they also came in handy when the tank commander went scouting around the next corner of the sunken road, I have read some accounts of that somewhere. And the high-speed bailout applied to the Germans, too.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Big Time Software

Yup, a Veteran crew can be used to pick off something like an AT team that is out on a limb. Read about stuff like that happening. But if that AT team was protected by so much as a half squad, the tank crew is more likely than not going to be killed. And that is bad for your score at best. In an Operation that means you don't have a chance of remanning a vehicle for the next battle.

Steve