CM2 Development

I know, I know, it’s way too early to start begging for the next game, but I am wondering if development/programming has begun, or if it is in a holding pattern until the final adjustments to CMBO are finished (TCP/IP)? Is work on CM2 going on concurrently?

Also, assuming that CM2 will take at least the better part of a year (or two) to finish, what will the minimum computer requirements be? I would hope that they would aim high, and be at least a 266 MHz PII, 64 MB of RAM, and 32 MB of VRAM. The base graphics and AI would be greatly improved, maps could be much larger, and it might turn those review scores of 9’s into 10’s. As an alternative, the game could have a “high-end” option for those with at least 500 MHz, 128 RAM, and 64 VRAM. In two years time, the average desktop system could easily exceed these parameters.

Finally, I would like to see a separate forum for CM2. At 100,000 posts, the current forum is pretty cumbersome, and grows too quickly.

Thanks BTS.

I doubt they have started on 2 yet somehow, but I could be wrong. as for system requirements i hope they push the envelope as far as possible and design it on at least an 800MHZ machine with min 128 - 256 megs of ram smile.gif I doubt it will happpen but one can hope. It sure would be nice to see cutting edge graphics that could compliment the cuutting edge gameplay smile.gif not taht the graphics dont rock now... I just think it would be real sweet to see them stand against the FPS games.

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

Yeah, I agree. Depending upon the development cycle that BTS expects, they could really up the ante on graphics requirements. IIRC, CMBO started out with a VRAM requirement of only 4 MB, then near the end of the development they enhanced the graphics and upped the requirements to 16 MB.

Actually, I wasn't really begging for the game as much as I was begging for a little information. I havn't even scratched the surface of the current game, even after hundereds of hours of play.

I think one of the first things BTS would do in developing CM2 would be to establish some parameters.

Also, I would like to see the CM2 forum get established as soon as possible so that my questions regarding it won't clutter up this forum.

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>IIRC, CMBO started out with a VRAM requirement of only 4 MB, then near the end of the development they enhanced the graphics and upped the requirements to 16 MB.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um...then why does it work on my 6MB Rage Pro?

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mirage2k:

Um...then why does it work on my 6MB Rage Pro?

-Andrew

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And it also works (sorta) on my 4MB VooDoo 1. I do envy you guys with the latest boards though and plan to upgrade before too much longer.

Michael

I couldn’t run the game on my Dell 333 with a 4MB STB Velocity 128 card, nor on my Dell Inspiron with the 8 MB rage mobile (until a driver update). So I guess I was wrong about the minimum requirements being 16 MB of VRAM, but I’m pretty sure that at least 8 MB are still required. In the cases mentioned above, I guess you lucked out. As for the game originally being designed for 4 MB VRAM, I offer the following quote and the link:

“Changing 3D hardware: Only an ingrate whose computer game is behind schedule would actually complain about improvements in 3D hardware. Well, that's me. Not that I don't love the new chips, because I do. They're wonderful. The trouble is that a design meant for 4MB video cards (the state of the art at the time we started Combat Mission) doesn't make full use of the power afforded by faster 32MB cards, which were developed during the time it took to code the game. It's my fault for not planning sufficiently ahead and for allowing the game to miss deadlines, but it did mean that we had to redo a significant portion of the original artwork at a higher resolution to make maximum visual impact on the latest hardware. “ By: Charles Moylan

http://www.zdnet.com/gamespot/features/pc/postgame_wrapup/index.html

Ah well, so much for asking questions regarding CM2. I guess I’ll go back to lurking, reading about neo-nazis and hamsters.

Over and out

R-Man wrote:

> I think one of the first things BTS would do in developing CM2 would be to establish some parameters.

Good idea, you'd better tell Charles that, lest the game turn out to be a shambles. =)

> Also, I would like to see the CM2 forum get established as soon as possible so that my questions regarding it won't clutter up this forum.

There are no answers to your questions, and there won't be for months.

> I guess I’ll go back to lurking, reading about neo-nazis and hamsters.

You don't have to sound so hard-done-by! You're just jumping the gun a bit.

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

Guest Mirage2k

To eliminate any confusion on graphics card requirements for CM...

From the "Combat Mission Specs" page ( http://www.battlefront.com/products/worldwar/cm/cm_specs.html ): "It is strongly reccomended that you have a 3D Video card, preferably with 16MB of VRAM or more. Even a 4MB card will work, but the texture quality and framerate will be marginal compared to better card."

I think it's interesting that you could technically run the game without a 3D card. Not that I'd want to be playing it under those conditions, but... smile.gif

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

I've installed it on my Apple G3 250 (Kanga) notebook. This was the first apple laptop with the G3 processor and is pretty long in the tooth already. It has a rather poor ATI chip and only 1M of video memory, but runs the game quite acceptably.

Now granted, the graphics sure aren't what I'm seeing on my desktop with a 16M card, but they aren't bad, moving the screen is acceptable and plotting orders and playback work quite well.

So its pretty amazing that the game runs so well.

However ....

This brings up a good point. Notebooks are notorious for poor graphic chips. I'd hate to see CM2 have such high minimum graphic requirements that it couldn't be run on a laptop other than the latest top-of-the-line machine.

Another thing to keep in mind is that many wargamers tend to have older systems. Similarly, many people, including me, don't have the money to upgrade fequently. I get the best computer I can buy with the money I've got, but that's not close to state of the art.

Of course the technical requirements for CM2 should be higher. But if future CM games turn out to be real beasts, I'm afraid that I, and quite a few others, would be unable to keep up.

Food for thought.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.