TacOps Gazette 02.03

MajorH TacOps Developer

TacOps Gazette 02.03

> What are the chances of more types of munitions being added

> with later patches? The specific one's I'm look for are

> biological/chemical ... oh and nuclear

NBC weapons won't be added unless they are required by a military contract. In my opinion, NBC weapons are boring in a tactical or grand tactical level game.

> What resources are out there for TacOps enthusiasts? I

> google'd but mostly got MODs for FPS and such.

99% of the hits that you will get by searching on "TacOps" are for Infogrames' "Tactical Operations - Assault on Terror". That game was originally going to be released as "TacOps - Assault on Terror" but in the end Infogrames reasonably agreed to change to "Tactical Operations" and to refrain from using "TacOps" in any materials that they had control over. Unfortunately the TO-AOT fans/users went ahead and shortened the title to "TacOps" anyway. Realistically there isn't much that I can do about the wrongful usage by the AOT fans. I do check the net periodically in hopes of finding someone out there who is identifiable and who has enough money to make it worthwhile to sue them . Same with the warez/piracy sites.

The most useful links for "the real" TacOps are below.

The TacOps forum at Battlefront.com ...

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi

The TacOps mailing list ...

http://lists.perilpoint.com/mailman/listinfo/tacops

A new forum recently started by Maddog at www.warfarehq.com ...

http://www.warfarehq.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=ea35f26a6635856a841a4269b4a39078&forumid=21

> How does the umpire download the orders? Is it one at a time

> or is it simultaneously?

Orders exchange happens automatically once all players and the umpire have selected "Begin Combat" or when the umpire selects "Begin Combat with Options". The latter approach of the umpire forcing the start of the orders exchange and combat turn is normally what is done in CPXs.

> does TacOps 4 allow two players against AI?

Not at present. Currently, multiplayer teams play requires an umpire to establish the game network and to admit players to the group game and it requires human players to run opposing forces. Technically ,the umpire can also command units in play but that would not provide a fair fight since the umpire can always see all unit markers with no fog of war.

> I'm confused. When the umpire forces the start of the orders

> exchange, are the orders files queued and downloaded one

> file at a time? Or are they downloaded all at once?

Don't think about this stuff, just run the game smile.gif . Most of what you are asking about happens transparently and automatically. It is way harder to explain than it is to do.

The general flow of a typical Multiplayer Teams network game turn is as follows - most of this stuff happens automatically after a menu item selection or one or two mouse clicks. A turn consists of a simultaneous orders phase followed by a simultaneous movement and combat phase. During the orders phase, each player gives orders to the units, off map arty elements, and or air support sorties that he controls. When a player has finished giving orders he selects the Combat/Begin Combat menu item. This causes his computer to automatically send a ready signal to the umpire computer. Once the umpire has received a ready signal from every player, the umpire computer will automatically begin to obtain orders from all players. Once all orders have been received, the umpire computer will automatically combine them into an orders/situation update and then transmit it back to all players. Once all players have received the orders/situation update, the movement and combat phase will automatically start on their computers and on the umpire computer. Movement and combat will then be displayed more or less simultaneously on all computers. Players can not issue new orders to their units until the movement and combat phase has finished on all player computers. When the movement and combat phase is completed on each computer, another ready signal is automatically sent to the umpire computer. Once the umpire computer senses that the movement and combat phase has been completed on all player computers, it will automatically authorize all players to begin a new orders phase by sending a signal to their computers that re-enables their menus. This cycle is then repeated for the duration of the exercise. The umpire has the option to alter this cycle somewhat. Instead of waiting for the players to signal that they are ready to proceed to the movement/combat phase, the umpire can use the Combat/Begin Combat w Options menu item to force the immediate start and display of a movement and combat phase on all computers – whether the players are ready or not. The umpire can also choose to use an orders phase timer that will automatically force the start of a movement and combat phase after the expiration of an interval specified by the umpire. "Forced start" plus an automatic time limit on the amount of time allowed to the players to give orders is the method most commonly used for both hobby and military game sessions. In this mode, the game runs on full automatic and the umpire is free to step away from his computer to do other tasks.

> What is a tac file? What is a tprf file? How do you open said files?

Files that end in ".tac" are saved game files. They should never be opened except via the TacOps startup window. Opening them any other way may damage them.

Files that end in ".tprf" are temporary, user preference files. These files are used by the program to remember how the user preferred certain interface items to look and work in the last game session. These files are automatically loaded by the TacOps program each time that it is started and these files are saved each time that TacOps is closed. They should never be opened any other way. Doing so will likely damage them which may cause odd program startup behavior. If you ever encounter odd startup behavior you should trash all files that end in ".tprf".

There is more information in the User Guide on the various file types and file extensions that are connected with TacOps. See Page 2-12 through 2-14, section 2.2, TacOps Files in the TacOps User Guide.

> I had a crash while playing TacOps. Now when I start TacOps

> my user interface is in French!

Your TacOps user preferences file is corrupted. Look in your TacOps folder. Find and delete any file whose name starts with "zTacOps Prefs" and ends with ".tprf". This will force TacOps to create a new preference file the next time that it is run and that will banish the French language interface.

> I am curious why you all are using "GM" as an abbreviation for

> Germany / German when the standard practice in English publications

> (both military and civilian) is "GE"?

While searching the Internet for the most appropriate 2 character code for Germany, I came across a current U.S. Government document titled "U.S. Federal Information Processing Standard No. 10" which contains lists of officially approved codes and abbreviations for U.S. government use. The document states that these codes MUST be used by U.S. defense agencies. So, if I should use "GM" in the U.S. Army version of TacOps, then I might as well use it in the civilian version also.

> What is the difference between a "bomb, portable" and a "bomb,

> transportable"

A portable bomb can be carried by a dismounted personnel marker. A transportable bomb can only be carried by a vehicle marker.

> The "Info" button does not work on bomb markers.

You are not allowed to see some information if you do not own the bomb that you are trying to get information on. If you are the same force color as the bomb, you will be shown its detonation time and casualty radius. If you are not the same force color as the bomb then you will only be shown its casualty radius.

> I just loaded an infantry unit onto a vehicle that was at least 2 Km

> away from the vehicle. I repeated this several times with the

> same result.

I suspect that you had previously check marked the "Options/Enable Umpire Tools" menu item. When this menu item is check marked, dismounted units can be loaded without regard as to how far away they are from the loading vehicle.

> In v3 in the reports menu list, there was a unit info option that would

> allow a person to get info on spotted opposing units. I really miss this

> feature in v4, especially in multiplayer games where time is critical.

There is an easier and faster way to get unit info in v4. If you have a two button mouse, right click on a unit marker and select "Info" from the popup menu list that will appear. If you are a fanatic Mac user who refuses to buy a two button mouse, then hold down the Control key while clicking on the enemy marker.

>I thought that I saw a truck towed mine roller in the US equipment list.

>Now I cannot find it anymore. Is it there or do I recall this

>faulty?

That was probably a language translation error as I think it would be hard to find soldiers willing to "tow" a mine roller with a truck smile.gif . In TacOps v403, mine rollers and mine plows can only be mounted on tanks. There are some other tracked vehicles in TacOps that have organic blades but there are no wheeled vehicles with blades, plows, or mine rollers. There is a truck in TacOps v403 that carries the Volcano mine dispenser as well as a tracked vehicle and a helicopter.

> When I wanted to resupply a unit I was surprised

> to see that besides the "conceptual" resupply

> it is now possible to also resupply from a "logistics package"

> How can I put a "logistics packages" into a game?

Select the "Options/Add One Unit" menu item. When the window appears, double click on the line in the US/Allied list labeled "Logistics Package" then place the marker for this item on the map.

> A logistics package (frequently referred to as a "logpac") is a

> convoy of trucks providing supplies to companies.

In TacOps v403 a "Logistics Package" is a transportable marker that is created by a player (usually the umpire) by using the "Options/Add One Unit" menu item. The map marker for the Logistics Package can then be propositioned somewhere on the map or it can be loaded onto a truck and moved around the battle field. Thereafter, any unit that is adjacent to an unloaded Logistics Package marker can choose to draw resupply points from that marker instead of from the normal force wide pool of supply points.

> Is it possible that you add a warning sign when you hit the abort

> mission button for aircraft ( say accidentally).

I think that solution would be worse than the problem. I would rather put up with an occasional error rather than to be required to close a thousand "are you sure" windows during the course of a game to allow for every detail that could lead to a mistake.

> The blue units at 078018 don't have an ability to "dig in" even though

> they are sitting on top of an entrenchment. They've been sitting there

> for several turns. They were placed there with Umpire Tools.

Open the unit orders window for each unit, then click on the defilade/seek cover button. If a unit is on an entrenchment, this button will order it to enter the entrenchment in the following combat phase.

>Artillery smoke clears faster than before.

No change from v3. Smoke from small mortars lasts 2 to 4 minutes with a chance of lasting a bit longer. Smoke from medium/large mortars lasts 3 to 4 minutes with a chance of lasting a bit longer. Smoke from artillery lasts 5 to 7 minutes with a chance of lasting a bit longer. Smoke from multiple rocket launchers lasts 5 to 7 minutes with a chance of lasting a bit longer. Dust from some artillery/MRL explosions lasts one or two minutes.

> Does the AVLB drop its bridge over a water obstacle/minefield/river?

> And if so, how do you tell it to do that?

The M60 AVLB deploys an MLC 60 bridge. The M1 Heavy Assault Bridge Vehicle deploys an MLC 70 bridge. There is also an OPFOR AVLB.

To deploy a vehicle launched bridge ... Open the orders window for an AVLB or a HAB. Then look in the "Orders" area on the top right side of the orders window. You should see a button labeled 'Deploy Bridge". Click on that button. The cursor will change to a bridge sized, white square with a cross in the middle. Click the cursor on the map where you want the bridge to be deployed. If necessary the program will automatically add movement orders so as to drive the vehicle close enough to the target point for a legal deployment. Close the unit orders window and run several combat turns. The AVLB/HAB will move adjacent to the chosen point, it will then pause in place for two to three minutes to extend the bridge, and then a yellow bridge marker will appear on the map. When the yellow marker appears, the bridge is ready to use.

In TacOps, the newer M1 tank models can not use the MLC 60 bridge laid by an M60 AVLB. The newer M1s will need the MLC 70, M1 Heavy Assault Bridge.

Some wire/ditch/barricade obstacles can not be breached by a vehicle launched bridge. The methods by which a particular obstacle can be breached are specified by the umpire when he creates a wire/ditch/barricade obstacle via the Engineering menu items.

To recover a vehicle launched bridge ... Open the orders window for an AVLB or a HAB that was already deployed its bridge. Give movement orders to the AVLB/HAB to move adjacent to its yellow bridge marker. Next look in the "Orders" area on the top right side of the orders window. You should see a button labeled 'Recover Bridge". Click on that button. The cursor will change to a crosshair cursor. Click the cursor on the yellow bridge marker. Close the unit orders window and run several combat turns. The AVLB/HAB will move adjacent to the bridge, it will then pause in place for two to three minutes to recover the bridge, and then the yellow bridge marker will disappear from the map. When the yellow marker disappears, the bridge is back onboard the AVLB/HAB vehicle.

> How do I get a unit to breach a minefield?

Checkmark the "breaching speed" radio button in the unit SOP window and then give the unit movement orders that cross the minefield. This works for all units except the MICLIC. The MICLIC must be given a specific order to launch its line charge across a minefield. The MICLIC firing sequence uses a button in the unit orders window similar to the AVLB's deploy/recover bridge button and procedure.

>When splitting a group of vehicles they disgorge their contents.

> Is there a way to keep passengers inside vehicles until

>you unload them?

No.

>Have you considered including a BAT-M Soviet earth moving,

>ditch filling obstacle breaching machine?

The BAT-M is 30 plus years old - I figured it was probably gone by now. v4 has the OPFOR IMR2 and IMR2M Obstacle Clearing Vehicles and the MTK2 Mine Clearing Vehicle.

> You have an OPFOR 10 man Engineer group - the only APC that will

> carry this is an MTLB, is this correct, or should they also fit

> into a BTR80/90?

The 10 man Engineer unit will fit in a BTR90 but not in a BTR80.

>Can you advise how the artillery salvo button works in TacOps 4.

The new salvo button/control that is now in the Arty Support Window allows you to control how many salvos will be fired at a target. This feature was requested by the CPX crowd. If the button shows a "?" symbol then that mission will be fired until you tell it to stop or the unit runs out of ammo. This is the default setting whenever you mark a new target. If the buttons shows a number, then that is the number of salvos that will be fired.

> Any suggestions on the optimal number of

> participants for a bunch of newbies trying out multiplayer?

I suggest an umpire plus four to six players. This advice is based on the qualifier "for a bunch of newbies trying out multiplayer". In my opinion, a "newbie" umpire should start out with a very simple scenario with a modest number of units in play and with a minimum number of players. Multiplayer network mode is a very different beast from all other modes of TacOps play. It most definitely has non intuitive quirks.

> The packaging TacOps packaging is a bit dull.

Spending another 25 to 50 cents per copy to provide a color, photo box insert won't sell any more product in my case. A typical TacOps customer seldom uses or views his TacOps CD or its packaging after the first install since I don't use copy protection and I don't require the insertion of the CD with each game session. However, you are welcome to print a snazzy illustration to your liking using your own color printer, trim it, and insert it on the outside of the provided DVD box. smile.gif .

> I can only reach the engineering menu if I choose to

> give some color's orders (not only red and blue, but any).

That is correct program behavior. Most of the scenario editing features work that way. Selecting a particular "phasing" force color first is required so as to enable the program to deduce which force color is being worked on. Otherwise I would have to either throw up a window with every item selection asking "which color do you want to work with" or else wastefully provide eight menu items for each of these features - such as "Do Blue Engineering", "Do Red Engineering", etc.

> If I put a bridge onto my map under "blue orders", blue can

> see this bridge, even if I uncheck all colors there!

> Is that by design or a (minor) flaw? I didn't check this in multiplayer

> mode so far.

I would class it as a minor irritant that is caused by you working on a multiplayer teams scenario while in two-player-on-one-computer mode. If you are going to work on a multiplayer teams scenario then always do so while in host mode and in multiplayer teams mode. Let me say that again for emphasis ... If you are going to edit a scenario for use in a multiplayer teams game then always do the editing while in host mode and while in multiplayer teams mode. There is a similar issue when editing a scenario intended for use in a two player network game. In that case you must remember to always assign PIN 1 to the Blue player and PIN 2 to the Red player.