tracks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTS, thanks a lot for taking the time to expand on your statement about why a big publisher won't be making a CM clone. But you know what, we have been on different wavelengths this whole discussion. Or rather, I have been talking about a different game than the rest of you when I say a CM clone.

My idea of a CM clone is a dumbed-down version, of course. It would have to be dumbed-down to appeal to a wider public...I thought that was a given, but apparently not. Anyway, why bother trying to make a realistic wargame as good as you guys have done...it's been done already, for heaven's sake!

OTOH, a fictional wargame using a limited number of generic units, reduced calculation for armor, yet keeping the salient aspects such as the wego system, realistic human reactions to battle conditions, fuzzy logic spotting, firing, and a 3D battlefield...that's what I was talking about when I said a CM clone. Since battle calculations are vastly simplified, more CPU cycles are freed up for other tasks, more polygons or bells and whistles maybe? Anyway, that's the idea, at least in theory. Look, wasn't Tactics II a war between 2 fictional countries using generic pieces, yet based on real world facts? Well, a CM clone would be Tactics II brought up to date, let's say.

OK, thanks for listening, we now return you to our regularly scheduled thread... "Tracks"

DeanCo--