Infantry in buildings - a minor annoyance

Moving infantry inside buildings seems a bit erratic from time to time. Especially when plotting a path close to a wall inside a building I usually get this rapidly resonating cursor that oscillates between the inside and the outside of the requested spot in the building. When I release the mouse, the endpoint seems to be determined randomly between these two alternatives. This makes it unnecessarily hard to move units into better firing positions in buildings. It makes no difference which view (1-4) I'm using. I have the roofs setting on.

Maybe this is some kind of graphics problem. Anyone?

I have and old P2/350MHz system w/ 64M and a Voodoo 2.

__

//// Dr. Talos

I get this problem from time to time. I switch to the lowest overhead view (5) and make any corrections from there... I don't get any shifting cursor in that view.

------------------

“Out in front every one is holding out. Every one. My grenadiers and my engineers and my tank crews – they’re all holding their ground. Not a single man is leaving his post. They are lying silent in their foxholes for they are dead.” – Gen. Fritz Bayerlein on an order to hold his position

This is just a 3D problem. If you're looking at the top floor of a building from an angle, you can't see the ground immediately behind it – your vision is blocked for maybe 20 yards behind the building. So when you're placing a waypoint, it won't move smoothly between the building and the ground around it – it'll jump between the top floor and the ground 20 yards away. The solution is as Daveman says – use the top-down view, so that you see things in 'map' form.

That said, I prefer to avoid doing this whenever possible, because you get a better feel for terrain from your guys' point of view. 2 or 3 for open ground, 5 for buildings.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."